Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 GC alignment issues...anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
no_more_sports_cars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 GC alignment issues...anyone else have this problem?

Got a 2008 Grand Caravan, bought it used from a dealership. When I took it for a test drive before purchasing it, noticed that it pulled to the right and had to compensate for the pull by slight turn to the left. Told the salesman, he said they'd look at it. Bought it, was told it was fixed but still noticed it. Brought it in for a dvd player issue, told service about the pull, they said they'd look at it again...told me it was tire pressure issue and it was fixed. Still noticed it after and I just took it in for an oil change and regular maintenance. Talked to service guy again and this is what i was told...the pull is to compensate for the torque in the passenger front wheel and for the crown in the road. I'm in construction so the 'crown in the road' deal is not that believable. Anyone having this issue?? Gonna talk to a family friend who is a mechanic and i'm also gonna talk to the service manager. Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 05-16-2009, 04:52 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Puls to the right

I am 73 years old ,have owned cars since I was 16 and I have never heard the Line of Drivel you are getting. Sure if a road is cambered the car may follow the camber, but on a straight road you should be able to take your hands off of the steering wheel (no traffic in sight) and she should track straight down the road (my '96 Caravan does and so should your '08) I woud demand a four wheel alignment.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 PM
nome_man

I had the exact same problem with my -06, but by the time I could take it to the dealer I was told that I was beyond the 12,000 mile warranty on alignments. I had it professionally aligned at an independent center, and the bloody thing still pulls.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road crown is the real deal. Most roads have it so the rain drains off and if you fall asleep at the wheel you drift into the ditch not oncoming traffic.
Now that doesn't mean you don't have a problem...
How bad is your drift?
On a double lane highway does your van drift Left in the Left lane?
See if you can find a 3 lane highway and try the center lane and see if it drifts.
A perfectly straight road is hard to find.
Wind will also greatly effect your van and can blow it left or right.
Try rotating your tires from side to side and see if that makes a difference. Even brand new tires can cause a pull.
Check all tire pressure first!

Good luck

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
lzrjock
Default same problem 2008 grand caravan pulls to the right

Had the same problem - thought that the car pulled too hard to the right -dealer fixed the problem with the installation of an "offset camber bolt" and a re-alignment - NC

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

The story you are getting is what they say when either they don't want to fix it or they can't fix it. I have encountered a lot of 08+ vans having a pull. On every one, I found the cross camber off. (slight - on the left and slight + on the right.) I notched the strut on the right side to get both wheels exactly the same with a slight neg camber (improves cornering and reduces outside edge tire wear). well on every van this fixed the problem that the dealers all said it was fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could also be a tire pull. Find a shop with a road force tire balance machine. The machine will determine how to place the tires for least pull.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

even easier and cheaper, just cross rotate the tires put rights on the left and visaversa. If pull changes then it's a tire, if not it's an alignment or brake drag... which it's totally obvious these vans eat brakes and dragging brakes causes pull. I determine brake drag with a digital pyrometer and see if there's a significant difference in brake temperatures. Side note, I just got thinking, the next van I need to do rear brakes on, I'll install my brake pressure gages and see if there's residual pressure at the caliper

Quick Reply: 2008 GC alignment issues...anyone else have this problem?