Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Grand Caravan a/c clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
nome_man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan a/c clutch not engaging

Hi all! I've never used this particular forum before since my Grand Caravan is new enough to not have any issues (so I thought!), but I have used a forum for Saturns which has been a Godsend for me.

I have an '06 Grand Caravan with 46,000 miles on it. The issue that I am having is that sometime over the winter, it appears the a/c clutch died. I am frankly surprised given that it is an '06, but now it is out of warranty and the local Dodge dealer is not being helpful.

Can anyone offer suggestion as to why this might be, or fixes that I might try?

I did read that it might perhaps be the relays or the fuse, so I checked those, but I don't know what I am looking for really. The fuse didn't appear to be blown (15amp with the u-bend still in it). The relay, well, it looked like a relay to me. No idea how to tell if it's bad or not. The serpentine belt is running around the drive wheel of the compressor, but the engine is in sideways, and the a/c compressor is below the alternator, so it's hard for me to see much more.

I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
JoeC1981
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to my 2005 GC SXT. When the A/C is low on refrigerant, the clutch will not engage at all. The line going from to the rear of the van were leaking and I had it covered under a recall. Your system most likely has a leak and once that's fixed will need to be charged. I'll see if i can find the troubleshooting i did for you. Here is the link the the thread i started a while back. Try doing the jump in the relay that i have outlined. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ot-engage.html

Last edited by JoeC1981; 06-09-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Caravan a/c clutch not engaging