Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Quick Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Old
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Question

Hi All,

New here. I used to own an 04' Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel pickup.
Now, 2 kids later, I sold that and purchased an 09 Dodge Grand Caravan XLT with all the goodies.
Sad day in my life, happy day in my wifes, but whatever.

But quick question on the Lifetime Powertrain warranty.
The dealer that sold it to me said I had to get my maintanence done by them or any Dodge/Chrysler dealer to keep the warranty active.

I usually change my own oil, brakes, plugs, filters (basically all the easy stuff), and they said that would void the lifetime warranty. even taking it to Jiffy Lube would void it. Then they told me to refer to the warrany manual for more details. I basically believed them b/c I figured that is how they get you on the lifetime warranty.

When I got home I checked the book, and no where in there states I have to take it to the dealer for maintanence work, except for the free 5 year drivetrain check. It states they "Strongly" suggest I take it to the dealer for the routine maintanence, but does not say I have to or else warranty will be void...

Wondering if any of of you were told the same or know if they're just blowing smoke...??

thank you.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
JoeC1981
Professional

They're blowing smoke. As long as you keep records of what you do just in case there is a warranty issue there should be no problems. The dealer has to prove it was neglect, not just because they didn't do the work. I was told that with my Pontiac also, and I've had no issues with warranty work.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Old

Originally Posted by JoeC1981
They're blowing smoke. As long as you keep records of what you do just in case there is a warranty issue there should be no problems. The dealer has to prove it was neglect, not just because they didn't do the work. I was told that with my Pontiac also, and I've had no issues with warranty work.

Thanks Joe,
I'm glad to hear that. Glad I can continue to do my own work on it. thanks again.
Old.

Quick Reply: Quick Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Question