Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brake lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Francois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights stay on

Hi i have 2004 dodge caravan 3.3L 135000km. Brake lights stays on and drain battery. I have change the brake light switch, but lights still on. I have to remove IOD fuse to not drain battery. What should i do now???

I'm a little bit desperate!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you pull up on the brake pedal, does the brake lite go off? If they do, the switch is adjusted to the pedal.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Francois
Default I did the test

Dear Master tech,
I test the brake pedal as you asked me and brakes lights still on!!!
Should i change my van?????Hahahaha!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Dear Francois

If you unplug the brake switch, does the lites go out? If it does, the problem has to be within the switch. If the lites stay on, you may have battery voltage where it shouldn't be.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM
ramcharger nut

Mine is a 2005 caravan. Same trouble, after the second brake light switch I seen the upper middle brake light was out (the one top of back hatch) Replaced and all was good. This after hours of digging reading schematics checking internet, Also the four way flasher worked but if I shut it off when lights were flashing on they would stay on, shut them off when lights flashed off they would stay off. .when brake lights stayed on after hitting the brakes pulling out the brake light fuse did nothing, but pulling the hazard fuse shut them off. Go figure Hope this helps any one with the same trouble.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:02 PM
M.A.D

I have an 2003 dodge ram 1500 thunderroad laramie. My brake light is staying on while the truck is running. But when, I turn the truck off brake light goes out. The 3rd brake light works fine. What happen, I have buy some aftermarket tail light for my truck. After a month my brake light come on and stay on. Untill, I turn the truck off. I brought a brake light switch and two brake control module from the dealership and I put the original taillight back on the truck. Thinking that the aftermarket taillight had something to do with it staying on. After putting those parts on. Brake light still come on and won't go off. Till, I shut the truck off

Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I seen you posted in the wrong section, But thats okay, We will try to work thru your problem. On the brake lamp switch, do you see a red tab on the switch? If you did, then the switch isn't locked and that may cause your problem. The reason for the lamps staying on is you are getting power to the lamps and you shouldn't until you apply the brake pedal.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Charsport

Originally Posted by ramcharger nut
Mine is a 2005 caravan. Same trouble, after the second brake light switch I seen the upper middle brake light was out (the one top of back hatch) Replaced and all was good. This after hours of digging reading schematics checking internet, Also the four way flasher worked but if I shut it off when lights were flashing on they would stay on, shut them off when lights flashed off they would stay off. .when brake lights stayed on after hitting the brakes pulling out the brake light fuse did nothing, but pulling the hazard fuse shut them off. Go figure Hope this helps any one with the same trouble.
Bumping this thread to thank this poster and let everyone else know about this possible issue. I had the same problem on my 2006 Caravan and replacing the top hatch light fixed it. Start with this if you suspect your brake light switch is good.

Quick Reply: Brake lights stay on