Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Oil light comes on when we come to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
lockwoodm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light comes on when we come to a stop

2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager...what a beast... 200K + miles

Oil light plus a 'ding ding ding' when we come to a stop. No loss of oil. oil is full, and we just had an oil change. I am wondering, does the oil pan have some sort of pendulum tube on the end of the pickup, that might be stuck?

Is it legal to take a Plymouth GV out to a pasture and shoot it?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
kev2
Veteran

first lets get a true oil pressure reading- a mechinical gauge will confirm if it truly low pressure...

till then try using some detergent "risoline*" for @ a week then change oil and use a quality filter...wix.. puralator .

*my recomendation there are others...

Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did this oil lite problem start before the oil change or after? If it started before, then I would hook up a oil pressure gauge and ck the pressure readings. And yes there is an oil pick up tube in the oil pan. If you do have low oil pressure, then you may ned to replace the pump and clean the pick up tube. If the problem started after the oil change, then I would go get a mopar filter and a oil pressure switch too.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
chopper
Veteran

If the problem started after the oil change and you had the oil changed by someone other than yourself,the wrong weight oil could have been used.It wouldn't make a lot of difference on a new engine but one with high mileage might get low pressure because of larger clearances between the moving parts.
I agree to either change the sending unit or use a mechanical guage to actually check the oil pressure.
If the pressure is actually low,and the oil has been changed regularly,a change to a higher viscosity might be in order.
Infrequent oil changes and a lot of short trips might mean a sludge build-up in the oil passages and there isn't enough presure at the switch to keep the light off.Be carefull what you use to clean the engine internals with! an agressive cleaner can cause all kinds of gom to come loose and clog the filter.The filter will go into bypass mode and the dirt will circulate through the engine.
Several frequent changes with a high detergent oil would be my advice.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
lockwoodm

A couple of questions:

What viscosity oil would you recommend?

Whats a good detergent oil?

Where can I read the oil psi?

Can I take this beast out to pasture and shoot it?

Quick Reply: Oil light comes on when we come to a stop