Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

06 caravan posessed radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
06caravansxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 caravan posessed radio

HAve an 06 grand caravan with the radio that has cd and cassetted. While the van is running, there is no problem. When the key is in the back position, accessory, the radio randomly loses power. No pattern to it, just randomly loses power. Sometimes every few seconds, sometimes everyfew minutes. The problem is always there, just how often it happens varies. Today for instance, i have the radio playing while cleaning up the van. It loses power like 3 times in 20 seconds, then not again for a few minutes, then just randomly like maybe 15 times in a half hour. Pulled the cover off the fuse box thing behind the drivers head light. There is an accessory relay. It clicks on and off as well. I traded it with another realy and the problem is still there. What to check next.. Have a drive in trip planned this weekend and this creates a problem.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
chopper
Veteran

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere.Probably behind the radio.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
06caravansxt

That was my first thought, but when this happens, everything that operates when the key is in accessory position goes out. Now this evening i had the radio on and it never happened. So im thinking it only happens when the engine compartment is hot. Which i dont think makes any sense.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Automechanix
Amateur

Did you do anything (take out, put in) the ignition switch recently? or had an alarm in stalled? sounds like the contact isnt being properly made around there.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 PM
06caravansxt

Ive had the van for nearly a year. The only thing i have done to it is rear brakes and new tires. Nothing electrical. I dont know how long its been like this. We went out to dinner a few weeks ago and there was a long wait. I waited in the van with the children, and thats when i first noticed the problem. All accessories go dead for a few seconds, then back on, and continues to happen with no pattern. The only time irealized tonight that it does not happen. THe van sat all afternoon. I was cleaning the wheels on it an had the windows down and cd playing. Was about45 minutes and never shut off. So seems like happens when its hot under the hood.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Are loosing the clock or does it keep time? If you are not loosing the clock time, then it maybe a radio problem. You could try a known good radio and see if you have the same problem. But if you need to reset the clock, then you are loosing power to the radio. Maybe the IOD fuse or the ignition switch.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 AM
06caravansxt

No not losing losing the clock. Just all accessories. If cell phone is plugged into key controlled plug then it loses power too. AS do windows and lift gate.

Quick Reply: 06 caravan posessed radio