Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help: '04 Grand Caravan Parking Brake release prob

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 AM
mcaldwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: '04 Grand Caravan Parking Brake release prob

I'm hoping someone can provide some quick help here. I'm on vacation and not near my normal dealer, but think I'm okay until I get back with a small bit of help.

Tonight, when we pulled in to the garage where we're staying, I depressed the parking brake (ebrake) like I always do. As the pedal neared the end of it's travel, I heard a loud pop/snap from under the steering wheel/dashboard and now the parking brake won't release. I pull on the release handle and it moves, but has none of the tension it normally has and the ebrake does not release.

I've removed the two panels under the steering column and taken a look in. I do see a frayed end to a cable, but given that it's dark and the vehicle is in poor light at the moment, I cannot see much else.

I'm thinking the connection between the release handle and the actual release mechanism is broken. If I can find a way to get the ebrake to release, I can just use Park until I get it home to my regular dealer. I poked around for a couple hours, but the lack of light is a problem right now. I'm heading to bed, but will be back to check the thread in the morning. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM
mcaldwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nevermind...

A little daylight has clarified the issue. The cable connected to the brakes snapped right at the ebrake pedal. As such, the brakes are not actually engaged despite the pedal being depressed to the floor. It's driveable, but the ebrake light stays on and it beeps at me to take the ebrake off.

The people we're staying with know a good local mechanic and the van is in the shop now.

Sorry to clog up the forums.

Quick Reply: Help: '04 Grand Caravan Parking Brake release prob