Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Dodge Caravan Alarm Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 AM
saintofdc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 Dodge Caravan Alarm Issues

98 Dodge Caravan

I can't deactivate the alarm. On the dash it says alarm set solid it's not blinking as it usually does when it's working properly. My remote is working and the car won't start. Any suggestions?

I used the remote to lock and unlock the doors, which turns on the anti-theft device, but when I went to unlock the car with the remote, it unlocks but the car won't start. It's acting just like an alarm kill switch is still actived. Now this happens every couple of days. Once it happens & I wait a day or 2 or sometimes Hours it will deactivate and the car work just fine. It's just unpredictable.

I switched the batteries, so that's not the problem. Now the car will not start apparently the anti theft device disables the car from starting, I can only put the key in to turn radio on, I can't start the engine Any suggestions?

Last time i took it to the dealership to solve the problem. They could not fine anything wrong. They give me a new keyless remote and took my diagnostic money and send me on my way. A few days later I was back where I started. That's why i'm a little reluctant on taking back to the stealership. lol. I want this fix so I called another stealership to bring the car in...go figure. Anyway, I would have to tow it in or wait till it start up again to take it there. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do before I do so before I become a 2 times victim.

I hope this was enough details.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM
MickDodge

I wonder whether your problem is related to the circuit board for the instrument cluster. Do some searches here for the various threads. But the bottom line is the '98 Caravan seems to have an issue with a loose ground connection on the board for the cluster. The main symptom is that sporadically you go to start the car and get nothing, as if the security feature had disabled the ignition system. I had this issue until the dealer installed a new board. While it was failing I could often hit the plastic in front of the cluster with the side of my fist and then things would work again. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

I came across a 1998 caravan with an alarm problem. Turns out is was owner caused. The key fob panic button was hypersensative and would randomly set the alarm off. Another situation was the theft alarm going off. Try using the actual key in the door lock (driver and passenger) cycle to lock and unlock a couple times and see if that helps.

Last edited by 92dak5.24x4; 12-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Caravan Alarm Issues