Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Instruments and Accessories Gone Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 PM
InfernoRed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Instruments and Accessories Gone Crazy

Greetings,

I know this is going to sound terribly vague, but here's the situtaion: Twice over the course of a few days, my wife's 2008 Grand Caravan SXT has sort of "freaked out" after starting and backing out of the garage. She said that the wipers started going, the headlights flashed, and the EL display that shows the gear selection had a square around each letter P R N D as if all were selected at once. I believe the EL display was flashing on and off, and the door chime was sounding.

After 10-30 seconds, the chaos cleared and all was back to normal. We've got no fault lights on the dash, and the kid at Advance Auto Parts said there were no codes stored. So far, these are isolated incidents, and it has gone several drive cycles between occurrences.

The only event I can correlate with the onset of this behavior is that her dealer replaced a faulty interior light module in the overhead console above the middle seat. Could there be any relationship there?

Needless to say, we're worried about what's wrong and the expense of repairs. We purchased the van used last year (rental fleet turnover) and the extended warranty doesn't cover electronics. Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The IHS can bus system has fail. Thats what it should do when there is a problem with the bus system. The reason the auto parts store couldn't get any codes maybe because their scanner don't work on can bus cars.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 AM
InfernoRed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
The IHS can bus system has fail. Thats what it should do when there is a problem with the bus system. The reason the auto parts store couldn't get any codes maybe because their scanner don't work on can bus cars.
Makes sense to me. Would a StarScan pick up anything? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to troubleshoot and address the problem. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes it would. Or the wtech that the dealer uses.

Quick Reply: 2008 Instruments and Accessories Gone Crazy