Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 caravan antifreeze problem fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM
crazycraig68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 caravan antifreeze problem fixed?

well, i posted something about my caravan on one of my older posts and didnt hear anything back, so thought i would give the latest info on a new one.

a mechanic got my new head gaskets on, as well as all the other gaskets that go along with it last saturday. i also got a new water pump and thermostat and man, i just love this van! it was so warm in georgia today, i had to use the air which is ice cold.

now here is the kicker. i still smell a light smell of antifreeze after driving it around a bit and giving her a good run. just like the day i bought it and before the pressure test was done. after the pressure test was done, the pressure blew a bigger part of the rotten gasket out, and that is why the water was pouring out when van was running. when the rear head was removed, mechanic said 2 passageways were shot on the gasket, so the van did indeed need head gaskets. we thought at first that being one of the intake bolts was broken off, that the problem was just that. everything is back in order and seems to be just perfect. all the hoses are in great shape. they are new or just fine as they are.

has anyone else had a problem with the light smell of antifreeze with these vans? it just doesnt seem normal to me. now for a stupid question....if i have another pressure test done to see if for some reason there is a leak somewhere, that would not blow a new gasket apart would it? doesnt it take a lot of pressure to do that? i am thinking maybe some other type of leak that didnt show up prior as all the water was coming out of the head gasket.

sorry to bug you all but inquiring minds have to know!

thanks and have a great weekend!!

Last edited by crazycraig68; 11-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If the tech pressure ck'ed after the job was done, then you shouldn't have anymore leaks.

Quick Reply: 1998 caravan antifreeze problem fixed?