Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Caravan Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:17 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to either get another vehicle or find someone to fix it right. So you have all these codes, get a factory service manual, follow the exact directions and you can fix it yourself.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM
val0214

Your so helpful!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
circumventor
Banned

i kinda agre cuz yalls been messin with this for like 3mths and still not fixed. if i get codes i look up how to fix them codes and go from there until the codes dont come back and shes working rite. i find the chrys manuals are way beter than any others for directons

Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
val0214

Update:

Got the Chilton Manual, which is some help. 92dak5.24x4 where can I get a factory service manual? Is there anywhere online? Anywhere free?

Also as a side note idiot of a mechanic put Dextron instead of ATF+4 in the new trany, so husband spent Sunday draining and removing the silicone seal from pan and putting new gasket and fluid in... Then yesterday drained again, changed filter and gasket and filled up with new fluid again.

Also yesterday checked the fuses/relays, wiring that runs below the battery to the PCM etc.

As of last night no longer getting the 0700 code... But still have the 0601 and of course the limp.

This morning got the following in the pics on the way to work...

Name:  instrumentpanel15102.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  instrumentpanel1510.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  41.1 KB

Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
circumventor
Banned

shur looks outta wack. i thinks the bus is crashed, i caint beleve that after all them weeks in the shop and noone can figgure is out. junk her and get a import

some idiot used dex. i guess im a idiot cuz thats all i use and nothing bad ever hapened to me.

fuses aint your prob with all them issues culd be a ground prob check neg batery wires at batery

i hope yall pulled over or stoped b4 you took a pic cuz thats not safe

Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
val0214

Thanks Circumventor... I needed the laugh... And no I didn't pull over... There was no cars in sight and I'm in limp so can't really go over 40 unless I really want to push it... Maybe when I was taking the pic I was subconsciously wishing I would run her in the ditch and total her out... lol

I wish I could just junk her, but hubby is unemployed and I'm the only one working with 2 kido's to take care of... So junking is not an option... Not to mention the engine and everything sounds great. You can hardly even hear it running.

Anyway, all the manuals and everything I've researched say to only use ATF+4 and after we changed it from the Dex. to the ATF we did get rid of the P0700 code so it must have some effect on the trany. Or could be from disconnecting battery??? I don't know. My degree is in accounting not mechanics. lol But, I Didn't mean to imply you were or anyone else is an idiot by my statement. I have just been dealing with an idiot since Oct and I am fed up. But, based on my research and reading, everyone seems to all say ATF+4 is the way to go in Chrysler, Dodge vehicles.

Too bad I can't find a mechanic that barters... I would so do someone's books, payroll taxes, SUTA, FUTA, etc for a year for FREE if I could get this darn vehicle fixed... lol

I do have more news that has so brightened my day though, NOT. Hubby just called me because I had found a recall about the left speaker shorting out from condensation and could cause a fire. So I left hubby the vin# and info to call the dealer and set up an appointment for that.

(side note: the mechanic that has been working on this since freaking OCT. had supposedly put a new TCM on and had taken to the dealer to be programmed. Well when I had all the instrument panel problems this morning I drove over to his shop, which is across the road from where I work and showed him the panel. Which of course he has no idea, thought maybe he would replace the speed sensors again. So he said he would be over later to get the van and change them again. But while I was there I asked him for a receipt for where he took it to the dealer to be programmed so my husband could take it with him when he went in for the recall issue and have the TCM flashed again just in case. Mechanic said he had it in his shop and would bring it by to me when he comes to get the van to change the speed sensors.)

Well, hubby called the dealer to set up an appointment for that recall and while on the phone was telling the service manager what all had been going on with the trany and that the mechanic had brought it up there and had the new TCM programmed. The service manager told my husband to give him the last 8 digits of the vin # so he could look it up to see what had been done to it. Next thing my hubby hears is "I'm sorry Mr. X, but this vehicle has never been to this dealership for servicing".

UGH!!! This mechanic totally lied to my face this morning. I just cannot believe it. What a crook!!! So at this point I'm guessing he got the trany from the salvage yard and just put it in and that is all he has done + the BCM (windows and all work now). I know he didn't even change the filter on the trany because it was black and had silicone instead of a gasket on the pan. Who knows if he even replaced the TCM or PCM. I am so upset. Seems as if I am back to square 1.

Anyway the service manager at the dealership told my husband to be there Friday at 8 and they will fix the recall issue and run the diagnostics for free. Hopefully they can tell us what is wrong and give an estimate on fixing it.

Also, needless to say I have not heard a peep from the mechanic since 7:30 this morning and now it’s after 1 here, and I don't expect too either. I guess he knows I've caught him in a lie since he won't be able to produce a receipt for the dealer because he was never at the dealer with my vehicle in the first place.

Thanks for everyones help on this and for those wondering the instrument panel is currently all back to normal, all gages working and no lights except the engine light and code P0601, P1684???? CRAZY!!!

Last edited by val0214; 01-05-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
circumventor
Banned

we gotta tech school here that takes on problem cases like yalls maybe see of thers one near by

Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
val0214

Thanks for the suggestion Circumventor. That is an idea, if the dealer is going to cost an arm and a leg. We do have a technology center about 2-3 miles from my house and I want to think they do have an automotive program there. hummm...

Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM
val0214

Well had to come post this... Hubby just call and he is running 65 at 2000rpm, so needless to say the van is fixed!!! Had to have the TCM flashed and a new relay. Dealership charge $65 and had it for 1 1/2 hrs which I thought was a great deal. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
circumventor
Banned

Originally Posted by circumventor
im gessing that yall need a mech that knows wtf the is doing. them codes aint gonna help. a mech with a scanner that can read trans infor not pcm info will give them ansers yall need to fix her. it may be that the trans didnt need to get replaced. so many hacks just say it needs a trans but dont no how to fix the prob.
the pcm aint got nothing to do with the transy. and it aint stuck in 3rd, its in limpin stuck in 2nd speed stuck on zero could be output speed sensor but them other probs tell me you got a new tcm and someone didnt program in pinion factor. who put in the computer, whos' working on it, do they know wtf theys doing? my only suggestion is yall find a diff shop that can realy fix it. doing some math she's been down for 9+ weeks yall said in nov down for 6 weeks and now we are 3 weeks more. time to cut bait or find diff shop
soundds like yalls got dumass mechanics. if i had her, it woulda been fixed rite the first time in less than a week garanteed. i dont think anyones gonna be able to solve it on hear. were yall live, i mite know someone that knows wtf thay is doing. there aint no if the pcm, the pcm aint doing nothing to make the transy shift. and yall dont need to go to no dealer to do pinion facter, i can do it with a used $200 snappy scanner. i can tell yall, from evrything yall said, there aint one smart person that worked on this fo rthe last 10weeks.
i kinda agre cuz yalls been messin with this for like 3mths and still not fixed. if i get codes i look up how to fix them codes and go from there until the codes dont come back and shes working rite. i find the chrys manuals are way beter than any others for directons

looks like all that messin around coulda got fixed on the first reply like i is saying

Quick Reply: 02 Caravan Transmission