Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
gn300
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petet
The 2000 had 17's. I have a 2000 GCV ES ans it has autostick and 17's. I also have the original window sticker that shows all of the options including the 17's. It is a US version.

You should follow your own suggestion.

Just look on any of the MOPAR online parts sites and you will see that the 17's were available on the 2000's. or for that matter, just look in the owners manual or the factory repair manual. ALL show the 17" option.
Thank you those were my thoughts.

Are you happy with the es ride,compared to a car?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 AM
petet

Yes, I'm happy with the ride. This van will be getting all of the modifications (plus some additional) that I had on the 97 ES I had that was totaled. (drunk driver)

I already have the ADDCO front and rear stabilizer bars on it and I have an Eibach lowering kit for it. (lowers it realistically 2") I will be using Koni's this time. I had KYB's on the 97 and I didn't like them. I have 4 gen AWD front brakes (slightly larger and thicker rotor) and much larger pistons along with the rear discs. I also have projector lights (I was able to take these off of the totaled van) with HID's. I also have a new 97-98 front bumper cover with fogs that I want to put on it as well along with the side skirts. I like the looks better than the 2000. It came with the rear spoiler. It will also be getting a dual exhaust, probably stainless, with polished tips. I don't really like the color of this one but it was the most rust free I could find. My 97 had NO rust. This one is Champagne Pearl coat but I would rather have had Golden White like the 97 was so I may be doing something to the paint as well. Maybe something like possibly a clear coat with yellow or green pearlescent powder.

I really like the 3rd gen vans over any of the others. I think they look the most aerodynamic--they may not be anymore aerodynamic they look it.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 AM
gn300
Professional

What did you have to change to put the bigger awd brakes on?

Just rotors and calipers or spindels too,sounds like a good upgrade.

If i go with a van i plan to do exhaust as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
petet

You need the strut assembly, the knuckle, (spindle) lower ball joint, rotor and caliper from the 4th gen. The front wheel bearing is the same. The 4th gen AWD has 2.6" caliper pistons and the FWD has 2.52" pistons. The 3rd gen has 2.36" pistons. The 4th gen AWD front brakes give you approx. 10% higher braking force. Thet also have bolt on caliper brackets so if I don't feel the improvement is enough I will be able to easily go to larger rotors and 4 pot calipers.

In the rear you need the rear portion e-brake cables, the bounting bracket/dust shield assy, (this holds the e-brake parts and the caliper) the rotor, caliper and hoses. Then you need to make a bracket to hold the hose to the axle and shorten and flare the steel line to fit the hose.

I don't have these parts installed but have test fit them. I just got all of the parts and since i can't get the van in my garage and it is cold i am going to wait until spring and then replace all of the suspension bushings as well. (I have a project car in the garage--a Chevy v8 powered Porsche 944)

Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
gn300
Professional

Are awd rear brakes(rotors) bigger as well?

Sounds like a lot of work, aftermarket upgrades would /could be as good.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

I believe on gen3 vans, only awd came with rear disc brakes, at least that's the only way i've seen them.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
petet

Yes, the gen 3 only had rear discs on AWD and the rear discs are basically the same between gen 3 & 4.

There are no aftermarket brake upgrades available that are made for these vans. Aftermarket parts could be used though. Wilwood calipers could be used if you fabricate brackets although the gen 3 has the caliper brackets are part of the spindle. This means that you would need to cut and modify the spindle. The gen 4 has bolt on caliper brackets. There are also Wilwood hats/rotors could be used with slight modification as well. But the gen 4 parts bolt on and replacement parts are available at every parts store.

I want to replace the struts/ball joints/bushings and put the lowering springs in anyway so I can build up the gen 4 parts in advance.

Quick Reply: Caravan newbie questions