Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

which Caravan engine do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM
circumventor
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for tuneup like if yall put in platnim plugs then its only like 1 or 2x's so that compares to a couple water pumps. and them plugs aint all that hard on them vans cuz in gen3 it takes like 10min to pull the wipersystem making the job tons easier. if the water pump craps out on a 2.4, it brakes the timing belt and then kiss the valves goodby

Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
boon

Wow, it's an interference engine?
well that would stop me from having one right there.
Interference engines are clearly a plot by auto manufacturers to ensure additional income on huge engine repair/replacement bills.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM
pete c

I have an '02 3.3 GC. I have been very impressed by this engine so far.

Will it win any races?

If you race minivans, you are a moron.

Is this "prehistoric" engine harsh?

Perhaps it is harsh at redline? I used to love running my old accord up to 6K every now and then just to listen to it sing. My GC, not so much. Something about minivan racing and morons I read somewhere.

I think the 3.3 is great in this role. It is durable, gets decent mileage and has good torque right off idle which is what counts is normal minivan type driving. I also think it is a good match to the transaxle which isn't the beefiest in the world. So it starts complaining when pushed north of 4K. So what? I think the 3.8 might be a bit much for this tranny.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 PM
leadnsteel

I took over my parent's 1990 3.3L and I have had no problems with it(drove it for 5 years more from 2002-2007. If you are going to be towing I would recommend the 3.8L.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Pete M
Rookie

210k on our '97 3.3 and it's still going strong (original owners). strong enough that I'd drop this engine in another van if I needed to. not sure how much heavy towing I'd do with it, but it pulls down a reliable 25 mpg highway. Overall, I love it.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Hessapp
Amateur

I just sold our 1996 GC and bought a 2004 GC SXT. The '96 had a 3.8 which was great!! We bought it 7 years ago with 247 000kms. When I sold it, it had 424 800 kms!!! Never ever did I do any head work, intake or transmission work on it!! Bullet proof as long as you keep up on oil changes including the transmission service every other year. It was still getting 24.1 mpg at 122km/h!! Just to bad the body wouldnt hold together as well as the drive line!!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
05Caravantastic

I have a 05 Grand Caravan with the 3.8L and i have no complaints what so ever. I have plenty of power, only minor issues (EGR and power steering reservoir). My mileage is 22 plus mpg. My van is a work van and is loaded down most of the time so I couldn't be happier. Also another good thing about it is there is no timing belt to be replaced. It has a timing chain. I put a trailer hitch on it and pulled a 10 X 6 enclosed trailer quite a bit. I have 140K on it now and it doesn't use oil and has plenty of power and the gas mileage is adequate for me. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: which Caravan engine do you prefer?