Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Dashboard Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 PM
physicusman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Dashboard Light Issues

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here! I have been reading a lot on these forums ans trying to learn more about the van my dad has purchased. We've been slowly getting things in order and this issue is driving us insane!!

We purchased the van in July of this year with 196k miles on it. When we bought it, the only issues we saw electrically were the flashing ac rear wiper lights on the panel under the radio. We were able to get those reset doing the diagnostic procedures, but this current problem is a bit more sinister...

Just a few weeks ago, the dashboard lights at night have completely went out! I can't see a thing at all at night on how fast i'm going or anything. Then just a few days ago, my dad told me the gauges stopped working. I tried to do the resolder on the plug on the back of the cluster and it seems to be working for the gauges, but when we attempted to put a fuse back in for the interior/dashboard backlights, it blew the fuse. My dad told me the last time he changed the fuse and put the lights on at night they didn't even come on at all and instantly blew the fuse. Last night when I resoldered the pins on the cluster, we changed the fuse and the lights worked for about a minute and then the fuse blew again. I believe it's a 10amp little red fuse according to the manual, but I can't figure this one out. The lights were working great until all this started to happen.

I was reading on how there may be a fuse for the body control module that I may need to reset or check, is that possible too? We have been pretty happy with the van so far and I hope it's a simple fix. We are mechanically inclined so I'm not afraid to do some work if needed. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

On the A/C head you will need to perform the cool down test. That should be under the tizzy and others sticky. I would get a price for a cluster and replace any bulbs that look burnt.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
physicusman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update...

I ran the cooldown test on the ac system. The only lights that flash now are the Recirculation control switch and the ac switch lights on the bottom right. Not sure what that means now. Also, the dash lights are still not working. If I do find a cluster to replace it with, how would the mileage be dealt with if it's from another vehicle? Also, The backup lights are not coming on either anymore. This isn't safe and I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot that. If anyone can help me with this, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are talking about the back lites,Remove the cluster and ck the bulbs.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Dashboard Light Issues