Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan shutting off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM
caravanmom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan shutting off while driving

Hi all,
We need serious help or advice about our '97 Grand Caravan. It drives well and still smoothly, after much care over the years. Now, however, it just cuts off when i'm driving. We've taken it to our mechanic, who can't figure it out and doesn't get the shutoff, because it doesn't "always" happen, just sometimes. Even at the Dodge dealership mechanics, they say they "could" change the "catalytic converter" for $3000 but they're not sure that will definitely solve the problem. As we drive, at some random point, the car shuts off and the RPM arrow slowly drops to 0, locking the steering wheel. I have to pull over to the side of the road and then recrank and keep going. It drives fine except in the occasions it cuts off, which, if we're in the middle of a left-hand turn can be dangerous. Please help. Thank you.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
circumventor
Banned

yalls dodge shop it full of crap cuz the cat wont cause this prob. what i do for people when they got this kinda prob is get permision to use the van for a few days, i put a scanner on it and if i can get it to act up i lock the scanner and look to see whats up. it aint posible on hear to fix this cuz we cant see it happen and its just a crap shoot. yall could end up dumping $1000s into it tossin parts at her.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The dealer can hook up a co-pilot and record the problem when it happens. And you would be able drive the van when it happens. I am just guessing that you are loosing a sensor.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 PM
82prospector
Amateur

First off you need to determine if it's spark (or other electrical related areas) or fuel.

An easy thing to do is to get yourself one of those neon spark testers. Next time it stalls plug this in and crank the engine...watch for flash. No flash no spark. Yes flash then you probably have a fuel issue. One way to check for fuel is with a pressure gauge....there is a more dangerous way which I hesitate to put out there but most any tech will get what I'm talking about.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 AM
hs545

Do you have a lot of stuff on your key chain? Try driving it with just he ignition key, heavy key chains can create a strain on the ignition switch. Also have seen the cam position sensor cause this.

Tip: the cam position sensor is partially blocked by a bracket. There is a hole in the bracket that allows access to the screws. I didn't notice the hole until after I removed the sensor, installation was a snap.

Tip #2: When trying to place a hex head screw in a tight area put a piece of electrical tape over the socket hole and the push the head of the screw firmly into the socket. The thickness of the tape will take up the space between the screw head and socket and hold it in place until you get it started.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
rotorhead

This is also happening to my mom's 3.8L 97 GC. The shut off before being warmed up. Once the van was warmed up it didn't have a problem. It also has problems starting.

This is all new since the wave of cold weather that has hit our area.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 PM
WeebaDeeb

not for sure but this happened to ours and new plugs and wires seemed to work.. but otherwise yea prolly a sensor

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan shutting off while driving