Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Installing quick struts and sway bar links

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @ 92dak5.24x4

Perhaps the better response would have been "No, don't use a torch to do that; there's too much risk, what with gasoline vapors and flammable parts." I'm good with that.

Much better than the "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" lecture.

Why did you think the van would fall on me? Did I need to mention that I used jack stands well within rating, put the tires under the front bumper and used a hydraulic floor jack as backups, along with tire blocks on the back pair?

Did I need to mention that my tool set is over 20 years old and did not come with an 18mm wrench or socket? Shopping for this a few days ago, I determined that 18mm is not a common size for the tool sets you find in the hardware stores. Maybe it's standard in the professional sets, but then, I'm not a professional, which is why I came here for help.

I did not realize that all nuts and bolts on this vehicle were metric, which is why I asked, since the 1/2" and the 13/16" worked perfectly.

The ER and funeral home will have to wait; I completed the work last night (without a scratch, BTW) after I rented a sawzall to get the sway bar link nut on the driver side. New swaybar links and quick struts are installed and ready to go to the tire store to get new tires and an alignment first thing in the morning. Thanks for your concern about my health, although it came across more like "Hey moron, if you don't know *somesuch*, then you're too stupid to pump your own gas. Pay someone else to do it."

Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Last time I was in Oregon, they don't let you pump your own gas, might be a good place for you to live. Obviously 1/2" worked for a 13mm since they are pretty equal as is 13/16 and 21mm as is 8mm and 5/16 as is ..... well you can do the math. Why rent a sawz all seems like a waste of money, you should have used a hack saw, I would hope that a guy with 20yr old tools would have one of them in the tool set. IDK what JUNK tools you're looking at that doesn't have an 18mm even the cheap Craftsman stuff comes with an 18. My best friend was killed by his car falling on him. He had 10 ton jack stands, tires under the car, jack up under the car and blocked the wheels, yet somehow the car fell on him leaving him with 2 small children and no dad.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

Well, then, I guess your best friend was a much bigger fck-up than I am, since he's dead and I'm not.

Seriously, what's with the fcking attitude, man? By your logic, no one should jack up a car, because "somehow" stuff happens, and "somehow" your best friend, despite having your fount of knowledge at his disposal, still managed to have a car fall on him.

Why are you even here on this forum? Is it so you can show your superior knowledge and insult others who come here humbly searching for information at the same time? Is it a "thrill" thing for you?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

only to people that can't figure out how to use a wrench or choose the right size.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Children If you want to do name calling, Take it to the PM not on the forum.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
82prospector
Amateur

Wrenches are overrated.....I prefer to weld a cheater bar onto a fastener to break it loose and then use my teeth to spin it off the rest of the way. I'll never understand why do you guys insist on doing things the hard way.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie

sounds like your assuming that Dan400Man is an idiot. I would be insulted if someone would tell me that

Quick Reply: Installing quick struts and sway bar links