Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

04 Tension Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Ramiken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Tension Pulley

Sorry if this is posted twice, my browser crashed when I went to post,

I am trying to replace the serpentine belt on my 04 Caravan, 3L. What is the best way to get at it? It seems to me that it is not in the best spot? Also what way to turn it, clockwise?

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

3.0 L engines stopped in 2000 in van's so what engine do you have?. Get yourself a belt tensioner tool. This makes it A LOT easier to access. I do it from the top.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Ramiken
Default Living in the past

Sorry it is a 3.3L V6, my old 98 must have been a 3L.Thanks for your help

Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 AM
welder4
Default belt tensioner

If you are replacing the tensioner assembly you need to jack the van up on the passenger side and make sure you position jack stands so as to remain safe , remove the tire and wheel and there is a cover over the front of the engine you will have one screw and about four push plastic type of fasteners to remove, do so with a flat head screw driver and you will have to get under it and pry them loose , The original tensioner has a wrench surface that is accessible from the bottom but if the replacement part is a part bought from a parts store other then Mopar you will have to have a special tool to get into the square drive on the pulley side of the tensioner, the replacement part only has the 1/2 inch drive hole and you will need a very flat tool to remove the belt . there is one bolt holding the assembly on remove that and make sure there is no dirt or rust build up on the mounting surface. there is no room for even a 1 /2 inch breaker bar . check the belt for cracks that run along the belt if you have cracks the go across the belt it will be fine if they run with the belt it needs to be replaced.

\good luck

Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
welder4
Default 04 tension

I notice you hgad 04 I was referring to a 2001 so it may not apply on your model year I suggest that you purchase a shop manual on ebay they have them for 20 bucks and it has it all make sutre you get a 2004 manual, hope I caused no one any problem with the year

Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
singerray
Default Belt Tensioner bearing

My 1997 Dodge Caravan began squealing, like a slipping belt. Local auto shop wanted $270.00 to replace the belt and the belt tensioner. I had just replaced the belt less than 10,000 miles ago so I doubted that was necessary. Last Saturday, I ran across a brand new Ford Bronco tensioner in the box for $3.00 at a garage sale. Today I used a 5/8 wrench and removed the part of the tensioner the belt rides on (the tensioner wheel) and it just happened to be the same bearing in both parts. (Bronco and Caravan tensioners wheels) I removed the belt wheel from the New Bronco tensioner and put it on the Caravan. Slightly smaller diameter but, it worked fine. I used a 12" Crecent wrench to pull the tensioner down, so I could get the belt back in place. (I had tied the belt in place before taking off the tensioner wheel so it made it easy to put it back on without having to figure out how it went back) Point is..if you know it's the tensioner bearing that is singing..you may only need to replace the bearing in the tensioner wheel, not the complete tensioner. For me, no more squealing..cost to me $3,00. about one hour of my time. I discovered that the bearings can be knocked out and replaced pretty easily with the right size socket over the bearing outside diameter ring and striking it with a hammer lightly a few times. The new one can be knocked in place the same way. Saved me $267.00.

Quick Reply: 04 Tension Pulley