Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

banging noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banging noise from front end

Ok I have a 2002 town and country. I have a really bad banging noise in the front end. I have changed out the front struts and rear shocks all monroe sensa trac, now the banging is worse I can feel it in the floor boards on both sides. I was thinking that it could be the motor mounts but wanna get someone else's idea of what it could be. If anyone had the same issue and found out what it was please let me know this is driving me nuts.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are issues with the sway bar links and the sway bar bushings. If you notice more over bumps, links. If it's more body twist, like swerving back and forth, then the bushings are bad. Sounds more like links to me.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
crazdandconfusd

I'm new to the forum and I'm having the same issue with a rattling sound from the front end of my 04 Ram 1500 5.7L Quad Cab. My problem is with the end links, but after I replace them, the noise stops for about a week. I've used MOOG from Advanced Auto Parts and ProSteer from PepBoys. Are there any others on the market that will outlast the previous two?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
82prospector
Amateur

You can check motor mounts thusly:

Open hood (you'll understand why in a moment)
Start the engine
While looking thru the bottom edge of the hood keep an eye on the engine
With a foot on the brake shift into any forward gear
Take note of how much the engine moves
With foot still on brake, move shifter to reverse and note engine movement

Repeat as needed to ascertain excessive movement. Listen for clunks etc when shifting from forward to reverse. Disregard any buzzing noises from the transmission etc, you're only concerned with clunks related to drivetrain movement.

Regarding your strut replacement, did they install new hats? What's the condition of the control arm bushings, ball joints, cv boots etc. A good mechanic will always take the holistic approach and not turn a blind eye to other needed repairs.

Quick Reply: banging noise from front end