Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 Dodge Caravan Wiper Relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM
MjdTexan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dodge Caravan Wiper Relay

Does anybody know where the relay is on the 1995 Dodge Caravan? I had an issue about a month ago where the arm came off of the wiper motor and that was an easy fix and it worked fine. Now when I turn the switch on I can hear it click click click click away but I can not find it. Any ideas?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM
MjdTexan

Edited to add. This is a Plymouth Grand Voyager. I dont know if that makes a difference. Its a 3.3 V6. Tons of miles. I think the switch is good. When I move the swich into one of its posistions I hear a click click click somewhere that I cant find. I have taken a test light and put the clamp on the hot side of the battery and touched the probe to the one of the bolts holding the wiper motor and it light up. I think this means that the ground is good. I see a black wire coming out of the wiper motor, żis this the ground wire? If so, I can check it the same way, right? Looking for suggestions and Thank You in advance for any replies and help that I may recieve.

Last edited by MjdTexan; 02-13-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Underdog lives
Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no relay for the wipers, the clicking you hear is the body control module which operates the intermittent mode. If the wipers are run in low or high speed, it is just the wiper motor and the switch. Power comes from fuse 5 (20a) and goes to the wiper motor park switch on the dark blue wire. The low speed wire is the brown with white tracer. The high speed wire is the red with yellow tracer. Those 2 wires go to and ground through the wiper switch. If you have power at the blue wire at the motor, you should be able to ground either of the other 2 wires and get low or high speed.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:43 PM
MjdTexan

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
There is no relay for the wipers, the clicking you hear is the body control module which operates the intermittent mode. If the wipers are run in low or high speed, it is just the wiper motor and the switch. Power comes from fuse 5 (20a) and goes to the wiper motor park switch on the dark blue wire. The low speed wire is the brown with white tracer. The high speed wire is the red with yellow tracer. Those 2 wires go to and ground through the wiper switch. If you have power at the blue wire at the motor, you should be able to ground either of the other 2 wires and get low or high speed.
Tizzy

Thank You very much for that information. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. I am going to go out there armed with that information and see what I can work out, while attempting to watch the NASCAR Nation Wide Series too.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
MjdTexan

Tizz1

Ok, I verified that the blue wire has power while the ignition switch is on. I then found the low speed wire like you said. I striped a little of the low speed wire clean. I then took a wire with a clamp on one end and attached it to the ground post on the battery. The other end of the wire is just bare. I touched the bare end to the low speed wire bare end and nothing happened. Am I testing the correctly? If I am testing this correctly does this mean the motor is dead?
Thank You in advance for your help.

Mike D

Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

yep, power and ground is all they need.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
MjdTexan

Thank You.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

your welcome.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
MjdTexan

I am back to square one. While on the way to buy a motor from the parts house the wiper started working. It stopped by the time I got to the parts house. I talked the manager into letting me walk a motor out there and plugging it up to see if it would run. I did plug the new motor up and it would not run. I can still hear the clicking at what I think is the BCM. I cant actually see where it is clicking but you've already told me what that is anyway. I am confused now.

I do appreciate the help you have already given me. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Mike D

Old 02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The wiper motor grounds through the housing to work the park switch so you have to jump it to ground if you are just holding it. Look at your motor and you will see a strap that runs from the bolt head around the rubber grommet to the underside. Try tightening the bolt to see if your ground is just corroded.

Quick Reply: 1995 Dodge Caravan Wiper Relay