Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Wiring of backup park sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Charger77449
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring of backup park sensors

I have a hitch-mounted box that I would like to add backup sensors to and tie them into the van's display. I envisage mounting a multi-way socket with a shorting plug for normal use and plugging in the box's sensors when it's in place. What I would like to know is if each sensor is a separate detector or if they are doubled up, i.e. are the two right sensors connected together or are all four individual? I would also like to do the same for the camera but not if I'm going to have to loop too many wires in and out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
ez1913
Professional
Exclamation

I need a little more info about the unit you're trying to install, and the year of van your putting it on.
Pictures of the unit and it's wire harness and transcripts from the install guide.
It's just to hard to guess and give an intelegent awnser without more info.
I'm pretty good with wires and such, but hate talking outa my butt.

Get me some more info, I'll try to do a little research, and give you a helping hand/post.

If you're not sure, or never have posted pics here, here's a few tips.
-Get yourself a photobucket.com account (it's free).
-upload your pics there (keep them around 1mg ea.).
-Open your photobucket in another tab with the photo you want to display here.
- Use the full reply screen, it works best.
-Copy the "direct link" from the pic in your bucket.
-On DF in you post, click insert image, tell IE to allow script, click insert again.
-Paste the direct link in the pop-up box, and click OK.

It should display like this,
Name:  50dodgecoupe.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  15.6 KB
1950 Dodge Coupe
Name:  IMG_0835.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  72.5 KB
1932 Chevy Coach

Cheers,
EZ1

Last edited by ez1913; 02-14-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Charger77449

EZ1,

Sorry, I'll try to give more info. I'm sure I didn't explain it too well.

The van is a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT. The cargo box is nothing complicated and is made by Rola; it connects to the lights with a standard 4-pin trailer connector.

Name:  Rola_box.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  15.2 KB

What I am wishing to do is duplicate the function of the ultrasonic backup sensors by adding a set of 4 sensors to the cargo box and disabling the van's sensors by inserting a multi-way connector (mounted on the hitch receiver) in the line from the sensors to the van's wiring loom, using a shorting plug for normal (non-cargo box) use and a second plug from the box when attached. Maybe this crude cartoon will show it clearer:

Name:  Cargo_box_wiring.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  29.3 KB

Please let me know if this helps. I would love to have a wiring diagram for the van and have tried to follow the drawings on dodge.com (e.g. http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...ncesystems.pdf) but find them to be too confusing for my poor brain.

BTW, thanks for the info on posting pictures.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM
ez1913
Professional

Well Charger, I've done some checking and a little research.

I think your best option is to find an 08GC in the salvage yard that's a front smash.
Take the entire rear bumper assy, sensors and all.
In this way the wiring colors should all be the same.
The Dodge.com diagram looks pretty straight forward, although they dont show an accurate depiction of the harness. Only the color and where they go.
I think this is where getting one off a wreck would help you see how everything comes apart, and where the wire harness can be tapped, before you tear into your rig.
Hopfully, your local salvage yard is a "U-Pull-it" yard. Having someone else pull the part won't help you near as much.

Whether the park assist will still work is uncertin.
It maybe that the wheel base of the vehical is programed into the computer and extending the distance between the sensors will throw it into a tailspin.

Hope this helps you some.
Feel free to ask if you need more.

Good luck,
EZ1

Quick Reply: Wiring of backup park sensors