Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Infinity amp and new head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
jimjayhawk
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will enable them to get it fixed. I can change the fuse, but don't know squat about how the relay plugs in or where to get one if it isn't there.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
22DODGE22

Tell you what, take out your aftermarket radio and install an OEM stock head unit and see if the amp system works.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
jimjayhawk

My issue is with the OEM radio. Since they replaced the fuse junction block to repair the turn signals, the radio will power, but there is no sound.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
22DODGE22

Who is 'they' and are you sure the radio is good? Even when the infinity system is kaput, there still is sound.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
jimjayhawk

"They" is the mechanic who replaced the fuse junction box. When he was done, everything else worked EXCEPT there was no sound from the radio.

He then referred me to the local auto-electronics guru who tested the radio and checked to see if all the fuses were good.

His conclusion was that the amps/speakers weren't getting any juice, but he wasn't sure which relay/fuse was the issue.

I haven't had the chance to share this forum's wisdom regarding the right fuse and relay, so at this point I am optimistic that armed with that wisdom, the guru will be able to restore the sound.

The

Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM
22DODGE22

If "they" screwed it up, then "they" are responsible to fix it RIGHT.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
jimjayhawk
Default "They" are covering the repair

This garage has REALLY treated me right in the past, so I am much more patient with them on this than I might be a place that I feel like I'm getting hosed everytime I bring a car in. Their labor rate is slightly over 1/2 of anyone in the city and they typically don't have any mark-up on parts. Numerous times they have done work that the final bill was less than the estimate and their estimate was consistently 30-60% lower than the shops in the city... so, they screwed up on this one... They'd made plenty of good-will deposits that I can forgive them this one.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:12 AM
lkngfrnswrs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
lkngfrnswrs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 2002caravan
Next step. This guy seems to have had the same problem with his 96 caravan and the prior solution wasn't enough.

"In my net search for info on my problem I also found mention that the grounding wire connected to the lug (along with the ground strap) on the back of the stock radio would have to be wired to connect directly to the new radio's black ground wire to get the Infinity system to work. This was not the case for me. I connected both the strap and mentioned stock black wire to the grounding lug on the new radio just like it was on the old. It was connecting the wire on the black plastic plug that is furthest from the little indexing nub to the blue power antenna wire on the plug adapter set that got my Infinity system working."

I hope this makes more sense to you when you are looking at the plugs. Follow the first directions first.
on my 2000 chrysler town and country, I had to hook up both wires, the ground wire and the blue wire, that made it work, thank you for the insight

Quick Reply: Infinity amp and new head unit?