Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan drive cycle failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
NH_USA
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Caravan drive cycle failure

Hi Guys I'm new here but spend a lot of time on the Audi sister board.

I did a search and found nothing here to help with a problem.

I purchased a 2002 Caravan for my daughter (125K Miles) and it having a problem passing the NH emissions inspection. The CEL is off and there are no codes but it says that the drive cycle is not complete inspite of going about 500 miles.

We were told that the OBDII gave them a message that it had to be cool before the test and later that the evap was not ready.

There are No codes to lead us to a fix.. Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It just means that all the OBD II monitors hadn't run. You would almost need a scan tool to find out which one isn't running. Some tests won't run with low fuel, some won't run with a full tank, some run cold, some run hot.......etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM
NH_USA
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't over 500 miles be enough to have them all run? A few drives have been 100 miles some 20 or so - some about 5-10.

We have been trying for about two weeks... I have never heard of this. Is there a way to make the monitors run???

I can't get an inspection sticker until the ready codes are all positive. Do I have to wait until it next Christmas for it to be ready?

Did I screw up again? The previous time I purchased a Chrysler product was in the late 80's - I got a new K car and new full size passenger van with a special factory seating package. The K car turned out to be absolute crap and the van would not run right until I tossed out the factory carburator. After numerous attempt to tune it correctly the dealer finally admitted that there was a problem and offered me a "special deal" where the factory would exchange the carb for $500. I told them where to put their "special deal" and purchased an aftermarket carb and manifold. I swore that I would never purchase another Chrysler product again!

Then in 2005 my wife fell in love with the Grand Caravan SXT with Sto-and-Go seats so I relented and got her one. It has not had any major problems so I found a used 2002 Caravan for my daughter with 4 kids and now run into this. I guess Chrysler still makes crap ...

I certainly don't have this type of trouble with any of the Audi's I have owned - The last two went 200K and 350K miles without any major problems beyond normal maintenance. My current Audi has over 240K miles and is still going strong.

Last edited by NH_USA; 03-05-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The monitors should have shown something within 500 miles. I would have a scanner hooked up and find out which monitor won't run.

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan drive cycle failure