Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need a new Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Webbie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new Tranny?

Hi everyone, i just have a quick question. About a month ago i heard this "Pop" noise, not very loud but noticeable after driving for a few mins i noticed that the transmission is not going into gear, of course soon has i get home i take a look i have no more fluid. So i go underneath and take a look and i see this. the best way to explain this is that there's a small gap on this cover plate where the fluid is leaking from. No what do i do? seems there's nothing there to seal or or what not im kinda confused here. its a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L

Thank you

Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

That means the front pump is leaking or the torque converter. My guess would be the front pump. The transmission would need to come out and repair. Fill trans and see if it will move. If it does,then you may need to replace the front pump gasket and the 5 pump bolts.

Last edited by master tech; 03-20-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Webbie

Hello, thank you for getting back so quickly, it does move when there's fluid in there, just when it runs low it tends to not move has much. so saying that do i beed to replace the pump gasket?

Originally Posted by master tech
That means the front pump is leaking or the torque converter. My guess would be the front pump. The transmission would need to come out and repair. Fill trans and see if it will move. If it does,then you may need to replace the front pump gasket and the 5 pump bolts.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

like he said prob going to have to drain the tranny, that plat you seeing, prob have to disconnect all the tranny and then remove pump then put it in seal and then put back together. u am still looking for a good book other than hyanes to do stuff like this...

Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Webbie

Hey guyz thanx for the reply's i was wondering would it be worth it just to get the transmission rebuilt or just get the pump changed

Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If you are not having other problems, i would reseal the front pump.

Quick Reply: Need a new Tranny?