Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 dodge Grand Caravan Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
blondevixxen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 dodge Grand Caravan Problems

I am in need of help it seems I have so many problems with my Dodge . These are my complaints...my battery is only 1 1/2 years old yet it is boiling dry, hesitates when I pull away , strong smell of gas . Electrical problems horn working intermittently , power window on the drivers side intermittently, timing is off, dash light out, heater only works on high. A friend hooked up his computer to my van and these are the codes displayed...300, 301, 304 1193 and 1698 no ccd message and he suggested I try this site. Please if anyone has and information or suggestion please contact me ... Blondevixxen

Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of friend would send you here?
Where do you want to start. Some of your problems will be tough to solve over the internet but some are common issues.
The codes, P0300, P0301, P0304 are all misfire codes, could explain the hesitation and the gas smell. Possible it's time for a spark plug and wire change. Probably put in a fuel filter while your at it. P1193 is an intake air temp sensor code. Usually it is set when someone takes off the air filter tube to the throttle body and disconnects it. P1698, no bus messages from the TCM could also be a glitch code. If you don't have transmission shift issues, clear it and see if it comes back.
The battery issue, those are tough. You could have a minor battery drain so the altenator is going to town when you run the engine. You could have high resistance in the wire going to the pcm that it uses to tell what battery voltage is. You can start by putting a meter on the battery when it's running and let me know what the reading is. Should be around 14v.
The amount of window motor problems with these is something else. It wouldn't suprise me at all if you were on the long list of people needing a new one.
Timing is off.....probably not. It is all computor done, there is no adjustment to it.
Dash lamps are out in the cluster? If so, that is a nice "do it yourself" problem. I can send you R&R info if you want it.
Heater only works on high, another common issue. I have multiple threads on this sight on this issue so if you want to know why they fail, you can look for them. Let's just say if it were mine, I would replace the blower resistor and the blower motor. If your hurting for money, you can try just replacing the resistor knowing if it fails again you will need a motor. Another easy do it yourself repair.
Oh, and welcome to the forum. Hope I was some help

Last edited by Tizzy1; 04-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
2002caravan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the charging voltage? High voltage can mess with the sensors causing codes and poor running. It could have also burned out your heater fan resistor.

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge Grand Caravan Problems