Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Question on tow hitch for Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
LRevell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on tow hitch for Grand Caravan

I recently bought my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT - great vehicle except I need to be able to tow a small trailer (motorcycle type).
I just ordered the Reese Class III hitch from a local parts store. Be here in ten days. But, on the computer screen there, they showed a difference in the hitches for the non-Stow&Go seat model vs. the Stow&Go seat model which I have.

Non-Stow&go - 500lb. tongue weight, 5000lb. max tow weight, 30 minute install time. Price $119.

Stow&Go - 350lb. tongue weight, 3500lb max tow weight, 15 minute install time. Price $256.

Does anyone know how securely the hitch is mounted on the Stow&Go type? I looked under the van, and see no obvious mounting screw holes - screen listed it as "uses existing screw holes".

I worked a summer at the local U-Haul many years back, so I am somewhat experienced on installing these things - but the older vehicles had more obvious install points.

Thanks for any tips!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

i beleive if u look at the manual depending if you have a tow package installed makes a difference. i for example have a sxt with 4l that has tow 300tongue weight 9000lbs (must be combined) non tow package 300tongue weight 7000lbs. the how to ive seen on trailer installs is you need to remove the 2 or 3 bolts existing and then place hitch and put bolts back on. think its spring mounts. ive yet to install one on my caravan.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The hitch mounts to the frame using the bolt that retain the rear bumper brackets. Probably will take a little longer that 15 minutes to install. The nuts for the bolts are welded to the bumper brackets so when you remove the bolts, the weight from the bumper causes the bracket to lift up so getting the bolt to start again can be tricky.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
LRevell
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!

Sure was simpler back in the days when we just slapped them up under the frame rails.

Quick Reply: Question on tow hitch for Grand Caravan