Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan Headlight Assemblys

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
RCrosby257
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan Headlight Assemblys

Have a 2000 Grand Caravan that won't pass state inspection due to hazy headlights. I understand it's a common problem. This is my "back-up" vehicle, used primarily to get me and my kayak to local lakes and rivers, but obviously I need "new" headlights. Would like to get out of this as cheaply as possible. One mechanic offered to attempt to buff them out, but no guarantees and about $35.00 invested even if it doesn't work. One used parts outlet tells me it's such a common problem that the only thing that makes sense is to buy new. ($170.00 for the set.) Another says no problem getting good used units, $100.00 for the pair. I've also been searching e-bay but am leery of getting into a back and forth hassle; lights that still won't pass inspection, etc.
So, what do folks who know about these things advise?
Thanks!
Rob

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
This is common problem. Most of the time they can be buff out, and be okay for a while. But you don't want to take the chance to buff the lites out, then that leaves you the only way to solve the headlamp problem. New headlamps.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know we have had real good luck with polishing the housings, give it a try. We have a dent removal guy that does them, they look nice.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 PM
RCrosby257
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making progress. Found a good set of light assemblies for $25.00 per, locally. I've swapped them out, and all went well except:
I now have high beams only, no lows. Kept the original bulbs and I'm wondering if I damaged the low beam portion of both bulbs during the exchange, but that seems unlikely to me. Am I missing something in the installation? All I did was to disconnect the turn signal and main bulbs, remove the to bolt and the 3 back screws, remove the old and put in the new.

Quick Reply: Caravan Headlight Assemblys