Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brake pedal hard

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:44 PM
salmonz
|
Question Brake pedal hard

So recently my 2000 Dodge Caravan is having brake problems.

1. It's a bit hard to brake, where I can only press it 1/5 to 1/4 the way down. It definitely doesn't feel normal.
2. When the car slows down (i.e. from 50km/hr to 10/20km/hr), the brake light comes on.
3. Once I accelerate, the brake light goes off.

Would I have air in my brake lines? Should I bleed the brakes? Is it the brake booster? I scanned my car for codes and got nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2010 | 08:46 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

an indication of air in the brakes is that the pedal would be pushed to the floor.

When was the last time that you had the brakes changed? I know that when your pads are almost gone, the calipers have a shorter travel distance thus making it appear that the pedal is stiffer than normal. At the same time though, you should be hearing the indicator that the pads are wearing thin. Sounds either like a high pitched squeal early on but then will sound like a metal on metal screech when it is real bad.

Old 04-18-2010 | 01:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

First is the fluid level full? If its low that will cause the lite to come on. 2nd i would have the brakes looked at and ck for any leaks. Last is if you don't see any leaks, remove the master cylinder and don't take the lines off. You just want to see if brake fluid is leaking inside the booster. Then post your finddings.

Old 04-19-2010 | 09:29 PM
battleaxe
Rookie

agree w/ master tech

Old 05-01-2010 | 11:56 PM
salmonz
|

I was low on brake fluid. Fill it up and no more brake light coming on and brake pedal feels a bit softer.

I'm planning on doing a brake job as I noticed the rotors and drums are worn and rusted, and pads look a bit low. May explain the low brake fluid.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal hard