Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

41TE making funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
osufireman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 41TE making funny noise

ok, I'm new to this forum and have had my van for a year now, 173,500 miles, 3.3L, 2WD. It's always leaked a little bit of tranny fluid since the cooler was replaced after a fender bender. Just the cooler was replaced and new fluid. Here's what I've done:

-Stop Leak (I know, not supposed to but not much $ in the past)
-Replaced filter & Pan gasket 6 months ago. Filled with ATF (Not ATF +4, another oops I just learned about)

Just started a week ago, when accelerating on the highway at a spirited pace the shift from 3rd to 4th is taking excess time. The tach may be @ 2500-3000rpm and I'll get a whining sound like a solenoid is trying to engage, then it will shift in 5 sec. or so, or I back off on the gas pedal and it will shift easier. I also can hear a slight whining sound when driving.

Questions:
- Should I get that ATF outa there ASAP and change the filter?
- If I get codes and the solenoid pack is suspect, can I replace it myself without the fancy diagnostics computers? My Haynes manual says something about a "quick learn" procedure that only the dealerships/shops can perform.
- In regards to the leaking, it's still there. How suspect are the cooler lines? easy to change?

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

repalce it asap. i beleive they engineered it with what ever a manufactor recommends for lubrication. you put something else in you just asking for trouble. depends where leaks is i fix that too.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
Hi Brandon
A non ATF+4 will not hurt the transmission. Your shifting problem maybe due to hard seals. Did you have this problem before the trans service? before replacing the trans, try doing a power flush with ATF+4 and a seal softner.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 AM
osufireman

Nope, the problem didn't start until a week ago, I services the trans about 4 or more months ago.
I noticed the fluid level was really low, and it usually is about once a week and I have to add more. Obviously I have a leak somewhere.

I'm going to check my cooler lines, I bet those are probably a culprit, especially if the fender bender a while back tweaked things in that area.
I'll also flush out the old fluid and replace it with ATF+4.

What is a seal softener, any brands you would recommend?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

When a transmission has hard seals due to heat, then you could have shifting problems. In most cases when we do a power flush with a MOC trans conditioner to help bring the seals back. Sometime it could be to late and then we have overhaul the trans. Ck with your local parts store.

Quick Reply: 41TE making funny noise