Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan code P0302 can't figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
The_Caravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess I'm going with the advance auto computer. I'll let you guys know how that works when I just plug it in and it works or not.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
KingsMan
Amateur

Originally Posted by The_Caravan
Where to begin....

So I called up a place called "SearchParts.com" which is a part of National Parts. They quote me a price, I take my computer in since they are close enough to me, pay the money and they say it'll take a day or two to rebuild my computer for me.

Fast forward to yesterday I get a call saying that it's "undrebuildable" and that I'll have to pay an extra 100 bucks on top of the 200 I already gave them to buy a rebuild-able core.

So to that I say, nah.. I'll take my money back because I'm not paying anymore for another used computer and that I felt the money I spent should have covered a rebuilt computer, especially since right on my receipt it said "rebuild" my computer! And nothing saying I'd have to pay more in the event that it was unrebuildable and nothing saying that it was even possible for it to be unrebuildable!!!

Then they tell me that they'll be sucking 85 bucks out of my refund for the bench test fee. WTF?? I already knew the damn computer was bad, that's why I wanted it rebuilt/replaced!! So it would seem they could just tell everyone their computers aren't rebuildable to try and suck another 100 bucks out or keep 85 bucks from what you paid. Either way, they come out with more while you're left with less!!!

So if anyone else has a bad computer, do not do business with National Parts / Searchparts.com based in Jacksonville FL.

Did they say why they couldn't rebuild the computer? I've done component level repairs for years on aircraft electronic boxes, there's very, very few times a box can't be repaired. Unless a part of it is no longer available, the tech was just incompetent, or they didn't have the right checkout equipment, it shoulda been fixable.

Unfortunately the bench fee is normal. That's how business in the electronics world is done, even though it sucks for the customer that comes away with nothing to show for it. An ethical shop would have let you know about it up front.

Let us know if your new one fixes your van's problem.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had good luck with this vendor that I found on eBay. The unit was $150 w/exchange and came preflashed. In eBay's search field, type Chrysler ECM and you should be able to find what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...ht_4580wt_1213

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM
The_Caravan

thanks for the link, I'll check them out!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM
The_Caravan

Well I was going to order from them until I came across this page:

http://fortlauderdale.citysearch.com...ileTab-reviews

Is there any reputable companies out there that sell these damn computers?

My brother has offered to trade the van for his Nissan Maxima.. I'm probably going to go that route because this thing has been one big headache! It's sad because this van still looks and even SMELLS brand new! Dodge said that ALL computers for these that they sell are Reman'd also, which means a brand new one doesn't exist! The van does have 150k miles on it so a new one would probably outlast the van.

I just don't know anymore. Any other suggestions on where to get a good ECU?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently, things can be hit or miss with them. The first one they sent me set a strange code from the moment it was plugged in. They immediately sent a different right away that worked fine as well as a prepaid shipping label to return the original one.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 AM
The_Caravan

I believe what I'm going to do is park it until I can afford a unit from Dodge. Most of those horrors stories I read about these ripoff companies selling wacked out computers have a somewhat happy ending when they break down and buy the computer from the dealer. Works like a charm without any hassle! I got my van for a steal anyway, so if I have to pay a little coin for a quality part, I'll do it.

I mean heck, the original lasted 150K miles right? So it's safe to say another OEM will do the same.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
ryeguy21

I had the same problem with my Caravan's ECM last year. It wouldn't start, and if you got it started, it ran like crap, backfired, and stalled out once left in idle. I don't know exactly what the issue was (my ex-wife had it diagnosed at the dealer, long story...)

In the end, a remanufactured ECM was installed by my Dodge dealer and I've had no problems since. Actually, there's a notable improvement in fuel economy as well. Goes to show if you buy OEM you're going in the right direction.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM
The_Caravan

I wanted to update this and let everyone know what happened. First off, my brother traded me his Nissan Maxima for the van while it was still down. He had better resources than I did to get it fixed so I thought it was a good deal.

Well, he took it to his shop and the harness that runs behind the motor was completely melted. Wires were melted together and causing all kinds of chaos! So, he replaced the wires and threw a used computer in there (Numbers MUST match in order to be plug and play) and now the van runs like a dream. Costed him about 200 bucks with the ECU and harness.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan code P0302 can't figure this out