Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

08 Spark Plugs/Wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Warren1974@shaw.ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 08 Spark Plugs/Wires

Hello everyone.

Just a little brief background.
-2008 Caravan SE 3.3 Flex Fuel
-runs 87 octane pump fuel, obtaining fuel at 2 local stations, regularly. (Costco and Shell)
-Current Mileage 73,800km/46,125 miles
-New Cooper CS4 touring tires 71,665km/44,784 miles
-City mileage: average 13mpg (sometimes less)
-Front Brakes/Rotors new 59,200km/37,000 miles
-Rear Brakes/Rotors new 72,900km/45,562 miles
-New spark plugs 73,800km/46,125 miles

We bought this vehicle used back in March 2009 with 44,000km/27,500 miles, and calculated mileage regularly, averaging about 19mpg in the city and about 21 highway (prairie and mountain driving).

Over the past few months, we have seen this mileage decrease to about 13mpg. Vehicle runs good, decent acceleration etc.

I took this vehicle to the dealer, they fixed an A/C hose, and ran a diagnostic on the vehicle because of the mileage. They said everything checked out fine, parameters for air/fuel were fine etc. They dismissed the mpg as driving habits. B.S.!

Here is what I noticed. Right rear backing plate was covered in greasy/oily residue, very slight drag in bearing. Clearly not enough to drive 6 mpg. They wouldn't replace it, said that they couldn't hear anything. Fine.

They dismissed transmission issues, as no codes flagged, however the oil is pretty dirty for this mileage. (We are getting it changed, filter and fluid, and flush, on Wednesday.)

They dismissed front brake drag as a cause, same reason as the rear bearing. Just because the brakes are not smoking. I will say, the front brakes are making noise again, will be checking them tomorrow. They sound as if the squealer is just starting to touch....not with this many miles.

When changing the spark plugs tonight (at recommend of one service adviser, and to prove a point on my part), I changed them using Champion model replacements, (same as stock).

Observations: Plugs looked normal for their mileage, gap was likely 51 thousandths - at best, stock recommend 50 thousandths.

I did a resistance test on the wires, here are the numbers, perhaps someone else can check theirs on the same model, or provide a factory service manual excerpt.

1) 6.55
2) 8.38
3) 5.63
4) 6.42
5) 4.33
6) 4.49

I feel that wire for #2 cyl has far too much resistance. Given the length is almost the same as Cyl 1, I would expect them to be similar. I did notice, however, that when I removed plug #2, the raw fuel smell was significantly stronger then the others.

Now the questions...

1) How do I sell this to this dealer and get the warranty replacement on the wires? Or is there even a problem with these numbers?

2) What does FSM recommend for resistance in the wires (I was told should be all within the same ohm/foot average)

3) Is there a TSB, and can someone provide the number and the text for the front brake callipers seizing up? I do believe I've read about it in a forum some time ago, when I was buying the van.

I do appreciate your help with these questions.

Warren

Quick Reply: 08 Spark Plugs/Wires