Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

need trailer hitch help...trying to break a welded nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010 | 02:05 PM
royt911
|
Amateur
Default need trailer hitch help...trying to break a welded nut

I am trying to install a trailer hitch today. I am suppose to remove the 2 bolts closest to the bumper. Well after spraying pb 50 blast on them for 2 day, the first fixed welded nut broke off inside and the other bolt snapped. That is not how it was planned. I can cut the bolt where the nut is broken but how do I break the welded nut. I pounded but it will not budge. Any ideas?

Old 05-16-2010 | 11:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Can you heat the weld with a torch? or a die grinder.

Old 05-17-2010 | 08:30 AM
royt911
|
Amateur

All I have is a propane torch. The nut is inside the rail where the rear bumper slides in.Name:  hitch002.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 05-17-2010 | 09:27 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

The only thing that I can come up with is to drill it out. Seems to be the solution here. If by chance while drilling you mess up the shreds, you can always retap the threads. Alot quicker to use the power tools.

If you have never done this, just say so and we can tell you what to use and how to do it. Very easy.

Old 05-17-2010 | 08:30 PM
royt911
|
Amateur

Yeah if you have some good ideas to get this out. All I have is a drill and drill bits. There is no way to turn this bolt. I heated it up trying to turn it. It started loose then got really tight and wouldn't budge either direction. My drill and sharp bits will take a long time to drill through it. I am not worried about the threads. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: need trailer hitch help...trying to break a welded nut