Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan Engine Swap Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 PM
MobMed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan Engine Swap Instructions

Are there any free online manuals that would provide step-by-step instruction on how to remove the engine?

I just purchased a 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3L from a friend.

Not knowingly, she drove the vehicle without oil and it started making noise (rod knock) and then took it in to a shop.

They diagnosed the noise as rod knock and she brought it over to my warehouse and there it sat for a few months.

The vehicle has just over 100,000 miles and is in excellent condition (minus the engine).

She only wanted $200, so I figured it was a pretty good deal since a used engine with 60,000 miles can be purchased locally for $450.

Yesterday, I drained the oil and it was black...darker than coffee!

Additionally, I filtered the oil and there were a bunch of metal shavings.

I filled it back up with SAE60 hoping that this oil would decrease the clearance and the rod knock noise would be substantially reduced.

Unfortunately the rod knock did not get any better and the vehicle is now parked because I don't want the engine to completely seize up.

Last edited by MobMed; 05-30-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 PM
mdb

I have a same question. Most of the manuals i have seen say to drop it out the bottom. I have seen a video on you tube of a guy pulling a 2.4 out the top. But how easy is it to pull a 3.3L out the top? I have a 2003 dodge caravan with a tensinor bolt broken off in the engine block. Is fix this with out removing the engine? There is not enough room between the frame and engine to drill out the bolt.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:27 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't remember exactly how much room there was when I replaced my tensioner, but I think you should be able to work a flexible drill extension into that bolt. If it snapped while being installed that's good because it may just spin out as one of the left hand holes are being drilled. But if it broke on the way out, that's bad news because it's seized to some degree and may also take some heat to remove it. Yes, the flexible drill route is not easy. But I think it has to be better than pulling the engine. One other possiblilty might be for someone really good with at welding to weld something onto the end of the bolt, if a small bit is sticking out.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:21 PM
markfothebeast

Originally Posted by MobMed
Are there any free online manuals that would provide step-by-step instruction on how to remove the engine?

I just purchased a 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3L from a friend.

Not knowingly, she drove the vehicle without oil and it started making noise (rod knock) and then took it in to a shop.

They diagnosed the noise as rod knock and she brought it over to my warehouse and there it sat for a few months.

The vehicle has just over 100,000 miles and is in excellent condition (minus the engine).

She only wanted $200, so I figured it was a pretty good deal since a used engine with 60,000 miles can be purchased locally for $450.

Yesterday, I drained the oil and it was black...darker than coffee!

Additionally, I filtered the oil and there were a bunch of metal shavings.

I filled it back up with SAE60 hoping that this oil would decrease the clearance and the rod knock noise would be substantially reduced.

Unfortunately the rod knock did not get any better and the vehicle is now parked because I don't want the engine to completely seize up.
Doing this with an 04. Dropping in an 06 3.3l v6. Pulled straight out of the top with radiator and the "coolers" connected to it. Easy as pie minus the exhaust in the rear. Pretty straight forward. Mark your wiring connectors. I removed tranny before engine but about to put both in as one. This engine had a faulty rod bearing as this one leaked oil everywhere. My gf would just drive it as if it was unable to break until it ran low on oil and made the rod knock. Typical soccer mom driving the worlds cheapest budget mini van without a care. The junkyard engine was rusty and she complained. Showed her that her engine wasn't rusty because you couldn't see the engine due to the mass amounts of oil. Lots of oil leaks in these engines. Main oil seals break loose. Replace camshaft oil seal and rear seal also. Remember that 03' has a different computer system than 04 and on so your donor engine i believe should be 01-03. My 06 engine is a 3.8l block used in Wranglers but is actually a 3.3l because Dodge did alot of wierd block swapping and random changes. Wiring is goofy on the 06 engine. Like I said, budget mini van. Trying to overcome all Dodges flaws before I put the engine back in.

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan Engine Swap Instructions