Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

air recircualting conrol

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
bullheadpond
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air recircualting conrol

i have noticed that the inside air recirculating button on my 2008 caravan sxt lights up when i hit the button but it does not seem to do anything. On all my old cars if you put the controls on vent and hit the recirculation button the air flow noise in the vehicle is noticably louder.
on this one the light lights up but does not make any difference in air flow.

Does anyone have a pic or drawing showing where the little door is under the dash that closes and opens for outside and inside air?

I looked behind the lower glove box but could see one.

I had a remote start put in about a year ago and i am thinking maybe when they were in inside the dash something ended up blocking the door from closing? The button light turns on and off with the switch it just doesn;t seem to do anything. I h oneslty don't know if it ever worked.

any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you look inside the glove box opening you should be able to see the panel for the hepa filter, above that is the recirc door and you should be able to see it open or close.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
bullheadpond
Rookie

i dropped the bottom glove box but i don;t see the hepa filter or the door for this? Do all 2008 sxt caravan have the hep filter? maybe mine doesn't have it. All i see under directly behind the glove box is what looks like a big motor case ? To the left of it towards the center of the dash there are control arms for the vents that all seem to work as you push them. . But i can't seem to find the door for for the recirulating air . Do i have to take anything apart other than the bottom glove box to see the door open and close?

Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

What the door would look like if you had one, not ever van does. There would be a blank there.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The inside air intake is the checkered area of the housing

Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM
bullheadpond
Rookie

Is the door inside the checkered air intake? If i shine a flashlight in it and hit the button i should see the door open or close correct?

If there isn't anything blocking the door from opening would you have any idea why it isn't opening? Do tthey still work off of a vacumn hose or is it all electronic now?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

I just went and looked at one thinking maybe I was remembering wrong, but I wasn't. You fold down the lower glove box and look straight in, that is the recirc door and you can definitly see it move. The actuator motor is on the left side of the air intake housing and you should be able to see it move with a flashlight. It won't go into recirc if you have the mode from floor to defrost.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie

I looked inside the checkered box and there is nohting moving . I left the controls where the air comes out of only the dash vents hit the recirculaitng button and nothing happens ,no door opens. Any idea what could be wrong? I don't see any type of arm or vaccum hose that would opn a door. is everything insde the checkered box now?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

The actuator for the recirc door is on the left side of the checkered area. It is fairly good sized, half the size of your fist maybe. you look at it sideways so you can see the shaft of the actuator move with a flashlight. If the actuator is turning, then the door is broken. If the actuator is not turning, electrical issue. There is no manual diagnosis like the older systems had, you will need access to a scan tool to diagnose the electrical side.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took some pics of my 2006 GC to help, not an 08 but might help, right inside of passenger door, under the glove box, bottom right, I could see it turn
or at least I could see it move when I pressed the button, and that is where my noise increases from
Name:  100_9275.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  38.5 KB
Name:  100_9276.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  63.0 KB
Name:  100_9277.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  36.9 KB

Last edited by trophyslayer; 06-17-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: air recircualting conrol