Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Coolant leaks when cooling down

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:12 PM
FloridaCvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leaks when cooling down

Have 05 Grand Caravan w/3.8L. Has minor but annoying coolant leak that occurs as the engine is cooling down. All hose connections are dry. Seems to be near the pitcock but nothing obvious.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Add die to the system and drive for a while, then ck for leaks with a black lite. The die should be green and should be easy to find.Or pressure test the system a see where it leaking from.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM
vpag02sport

I'm new to DF so apologies for opening up and old thread... I've got the same problem with coolant leaking in the drain **** area on 2002 GC Sport. Pulled fascia to get a better look. Coolant lines going to tranny looked fine & dry. Bottom corner of rad support definitely damp. Ran van for 35-40 mins with no visible leaks. Even let the van cool down in garage - no leaks. Now seeing drips on the driveway after driving a few days. FloridaCvan - Could you tell me what fix was for your leak?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you really just have to go under the car and look. Where does the Drop coming from? under the Engine area or the Radiator?

Well, there are 3 common area for coolant leak on the Caravan,
Water Pump, The Pipe that connects to the water pump gets Rotted out, or radiator.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
vpag02sport

Thanks for the note steak59! Definitely looks like the radiator but I'm hoping it's something less than replacing it. Leak is happening on the driver's/tranny side right and very low in the corner of the radiator. There are the 2 cooling lines going to the tranny that are tucked right next to the radiator. I'm going to check them again but they both looked ok when I checked last week. I've replaced a few drain **** gaskets in other older vehicles that leaked the same way (dry when running but leaking during cool down). There's coolant around the drain **** area but can't see any leaks. Also a pretty tight fit between the bottom of the radiator and cross member/support so I can't see the actual drip coming directly from the rad. I'm going to open it up again today and see if I can trace the leak. Expecting to see the seam between the plastic tank and aluminum fins showing the leak, but I hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaks when cooling down