Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

High pitched "tone" from under van

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
DanK5
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched "tone" from under van

05 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8. For the last month my wife and kids have been telling me they sometimes hear a high pitch tone (for lack of a better word) coming from the van; more apparent sitting in the back. I haven't ever heard it until this past weekend while I was driving- headed to the drive-in movies. It's just a high pitch tone that comes and goes on it's own, with and without the AC on, while driving and in park. After I parked at the theater I let it run while I walked around it. It sounds like its coming from under the middle of the van. Not by the engine, not by the rear bumper but on each side under the middle part. Yesterday I got under it and looked for anything odd. I shook and wiggled things, looked for oily residue on pipes and saw nothing. You guys have any thoughts on this? We are getting ready for a long road trip leaving this Thursday and I'd like some piece of mind before we head out. Thanks as always.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure sounds like the fuel pump. It's mounted inside the gas tank and would be in front of the rear axle.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
DanK5
Amateur

Thanks for the reply. I did some research on fuel pumps and I think you're right. I will replace it tonight. Unfortunately no local dealers have one in stock (cheaper than aftermarket) so I'm just going with a Napa brand Delfai err whatever. IIRC the directions that came with the last FP I replaced (99 F-150) said nothing of cutting and soldering the wiring harness (because the connectors didn't match) so I ended up returning it and buying a complete drop in unit. I am reading though that often times you need to cut off the van's and the new FP connectors and solder the wires together and shink wrap them. My question is how do I know which wires to solder together and do I use regular electric connection solder- if these connectors don't match up of course.
Thanks.

Last edited by DanK5; 06-22-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They all make noise, I don't know if I'd replace a pump for that. If it ain't broke......

Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
DanK5
Amateur

I'm not taking a chance with us going to Minnesota from Memphis tomorrow. If we didn't have this big trip I might be inclined to let it ride. Anyways, I swapped it out last night. No problems. No more noise. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont forget to go to the MOA (mall of America)

Quick Reply: High pitched "tone" from under van