Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Coolant Leak, Then Wouldnt Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
dannerino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak, Then Wouldnt Start

1999 Caravan, 2.4L, 116K miles. Sprung a coolant leak near the water pump.
The first time it overheated, there was a knocking sound from the engine when I accelerated. Got off the road, car died. After 20 min of cooling and refilling radiator, it started.

Carried lots of water with me, diligently refilled radiator, usually before temp gauge rose to HOT. Drove this way for a couple of days. Did not repeat the knocking sound.

Used Stop Leak. Didn't seem to completely stop the leak, but slowed it. While driving to parts store, car stalled as I approached a stop sign. Was very low on gas (might be a factor?). Coasted into nearby parking lot.

Let it cool over night. Added 2 gal of gas. Wouldn't start. During one attempt to start it, heard a coughing sound from under the hood, thinking it was vacuum related. I do hear fuel pump working when I turn key to ON. The Stop Leak seems to have completed its leak stopping task as the van holds water now.

Spark plugs are relatively new, as is alternator and fuel pump. Spark plug wires were not replaced when plugs were, so they are old. Checked all fuses, all ok.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am smart. Need suggestions on the next few things to check, and possible steps to diagnose problem. SUMMARY: Leaking coolant, ran hot at times, stopped leak, while low on gas the van stalled, hasn't started since.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
The timing belt may have gotten soaked and cause it to jump time, or you lost compression due to overheating. Remove the spark plugs and do a compression test. And post the readings.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 AM
dannerino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

After more careful inspection, found 2 wiring connector clips (driver side near air filter) were overheated, semi-melted, in bad shape.

No quick access to compression test equipment. Will be buying replacement clips. Bought new water pump and, being told that the water pump install would have me into the timing belt, bought a new belt. Install of those was begun tonight.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak, Then Wouldnt Start