Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bizarre Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Gil_Chesterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre Electrical Issues

Hello,

2005 Caravan Sport - automatic - 3.8 V6.

I have had a series of electrical issues recently that have now settled out into a basic pattern.

ALL direct necessary electrical systems work fine and the vehicle is functional when running (engine electrical, heat/AC, windows, lights, gauges, wipers are all functional). When the key is in the OFF position NO electrical operates (power door locks, interior lights, headlights, door chime etc). They work when the car is in the ON position or running. Power door locks only work when all car doors are closed (key in ON position). When the key is turned to the ON position prior to engine start the needles on the RPM and speed gauges flip all the way over to the right before returning to the home position after the car starts. Radio does not usually work but if it magically does it usually fails if you turn up the volume.

Must be a short somewhere but sometimes I find that in these forums there are oddball fixes that people have come across for similar problems.

I have checked the battery, battery connections, all fuses, all relays and pulled the PDB out to clean and examine the harnesses. Some corrosion but no obvious shorts or other problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gil

Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will sound bizarre but it has worked on both our 2001 Caravan and our son's Civic. We also have a series of unusual electrical things happening with the radio, HVAC and wipers. Spray LockEase into the slot where the key goes. It's worth a shot.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Gil_Chesterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it may be worth a try. I suspect that my issue may be somewhere in and around the ignition whether it is electrical or mechanical is yet to be determined.

Quick Reply: Bizarre Electrical Issues