Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

stalling 2010 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling 2010 4.0L

We recently purchased a 2010 caravan with the 4.0 L engine, we only have about 5k on it and my wife has had the van stall out on her 2 times already. We also noticed that while driving and if the AC is on the van feels like it stuters while you drive when the engine is running at about 1500 RPMs. Has anyone else had any of these issues?? i took it to the dealer once already and they say they can't find anything. any suggestions??

Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
Here is a TSB, i don't know if this going to fix the problem. I do have 2010 sebring with a stalling problem with only 60 miles on it. Found out the torque converter was causing the stalling problem, because the converter would go into lock up when it shouldn't.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 18-001-10, DATED JANUARY 9,
2010, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE
HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE THE ADDITION OF VEHICLE
MODELS AND ENGINES.
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION IS THE PREFERRED METHOD FOR
FLASHING ECUs.
HELP USING THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION FOR FLASHING AN ECU IS
AVAILABLE BY SELECTING “HELP” THEN “HELP CONTENTS” AT THE TOP OF
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION WINDOW.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 10.03 OR HIGHER TO
PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT MAY ALSO BE USED TO PERFORM THIS
PROCEDURE.
SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination For P050D - Cold Start Rough Idle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software.
MODELS:
2010 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager
2010 (JC) Journey
2010 (JS) Sebring/Avenger/Sebring Convertible
**2009 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)**
**2009 (XK) Commander**
**2009 (XH) Commander (International Markets)**
**2009 (WK) Grand Cherokee**
NUMBER: 18-001-10 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: April 28, 2010
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built with a 4.0L built before December 09,
2009 (MDH1209XX) or vehicles built with a 3.5L or 2.7L engine (Sales Codes
EGF or EER) built before December 17, 2009 (MDH 1217XX) **or WK, WH, XK
and XH vehicles equipped with a 4.7L engine (Sales code EVE) and a 545RFE
automatic transmission (Sales code DGQ).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the
Technician may find that P050D - Cold Start Rough Idle has been set.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH ) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other then
the one listed above are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary
before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the
Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Follow the detailed service procedures
available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 8 - Electrical >
Electronic Control Modules - Service Information > Module - Powertrain Control >
Standard Procedures > PCM/ECM Programming - Gas. After PCM reprogramming,
the following must be performed:
a. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming.
The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow
the tech to clear them.
b. On 62 TE models, clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters, found in the
Misc Function menu for the PCM ECU.
c. On 62 TE models, perform the Quick Learn function, found in the Misc Function
menu for the PCM ECU.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 AM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur

thanks for the reply...i was wondering if something like this needed to be done. I have noticed that when you climb a hill and it shifts into a higher gear that the engine seems to "stubble"...i thought it was just road response in the suspension but any other vehicle i have had i knew it was something with power issue. I talked to the dealer before about this and they said there were no issues or TSB's but maybe i will present this to them and see what they think...i am not happy that it is stalling especially when one time it was on a secondary road right after a turn...the other time was when it was being back out of our drive way. thanks again!!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM
LansingMI

Bless you gorsuchcaravan! I've experienced EXACTLY the same problems with my 3.8L (with tow group) - and more!

I too have felt that shuddering, stubbling with acceleration on even a slight incline (you can even feel it in the gas pedal right?), the issue about going around a corner and (for me) almost-stalling, the rough vibrating idle, the super low gas mileage, the RPMs jumping all over the place and seeming much too low at time, and so on.

I've also felt the frustration when being told there's nothing wrong and that there's nothing that can be done because it's not "throwing any codes".

Quick Reply: stalling 2010 4.0L