Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

break light on dash and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
on4now4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation break light on dash and smoke

iv got an 01 grand caravan with the 3.8 engine and recently while on my way to work it just stopped accelerating so i pulled to the side of the highway and to make a long story short the fuel filter went and fuel was going everywhere except to the engine... so i got it towed home and it sat for a few weeks than this weekend i replaced the filter and called it a day without test driving it :P

well today i went to drive it to work and what do you know new problem... the Break light on the dash and the ABS light are on so i popped the hood and its smoking like mad. i am baffled what is creating the smoke because it appears to be coming from the exhaust manifold and all the fluids don't seem to have gone down any? any ideas what is causing this could be very very helpful, because i am baffled but a little afraid the breaks are going to go out or something...

Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do you still have good brake pedal? What did the smoke smell like? Electrical, sweet, etc.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

yes check fluid levels like tizzy said, did it stall when it ran out of gas? and then ya had to turn stearing wheel. possible pumps out the fluid from resouviour that causing the burn.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 PM
on4now4

yes, it is a sweater smell deffinatly not an eletrical burn. almost smells like antifreese to me but i could be wrong... nope never ran out of gas and as i said all the fluids are full and dont seem to be going down, power steering, break fluid and oil. i forgot to check the trans fluid... could that be it?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

I was thinking anti-freeze also. The brake lamp is probably it's own issue.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 PM
on4now4

well iv recently been informed there is a line that runs under the intake manifold to the water pump? that i am almost sure is what is causing the smoke seeing as i did notice a puddle forming under the manifold and running down the exhaust manifold twords the front of the engine

On that not any idea what is causing the break issue? it seems to break just fine and there are no puddles forming under the car so i don't think that it is a leak... no codes are showing at least i don't think they are... could it be the abs module? any ideas?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

If the light is on it is most likely electrical. I'd put my money on a wheel speed sensor but you'll have to have the codes pulled to be sure.

Quick Reply: break light on dash and smoke