Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 grand caravan and can not find relay for fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM
trudys1953
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 99 grand caravan and can not find relay for fan

can anyone please help me. I can not find the relay for the fan, it has quit working and pretty sure it is relay, I called the dodge dealer and they said to bring it in and have it diagnosed. The relay fuse box under hood near fender does not have fan relay listed.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
dodgeforce39
Amateur

Just a hunch did it overheat? If so check your hoses see if the top radiator hose and bottom radiator hose get hot. If not a thermostat gone bad would not allow the temp to get hot enough at the sensor to turn the fan on.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 PM
trudys1953
Default thank you and additional information

no the van did not overheat. I realized i may have omitted information. When it first started happening the fan would not turn off, we disconnected the battery ( so it would not drain it) when we reconnected the battery the fan would not turn on. we ran it until it started to get hot but not to H and the fan did not come on. thank you in advance for any and all information, I really hate to spend $100.00 for diagnostic test but may have to. We also took off radiator cap and could not see the fluid circulating in the radiator. the check engine light is not on.

Not reallly crazy about this beast but comes in handy to tote hubbys wheelchair so we really need it running

Last edited by trudys1953; 08-13-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

RADIATOR FAN CONTROL
Fan control is accomplished two ways. A pressure transducer on the compressor discharge line sends a signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which will activate the fan. In addition to this control, the fan is turned on by the temperature of the coolant which is sensed by the coolant temperature sensor which sends the message to the PCM. The fan will not run during cranking until the engine starts no matter what the coolant temperature is.

CAUTION: The solid state fan relay is attached to the left frame rail near the lower radiator support. The relay bracket, and fastener are used to dissipate heat from the relay. Ensure the relay is properly attached to prevent the following:

Intermittent engine overheating.
Relay "thermal" shutdown, or relay damage.

Quick Reply: 99 grand caravan and can not find relay for fan