Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'08 brakes smoking

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 AM
mckellar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 brakes smoking

My right rear brake was smoking and very hot with the distinct smell of hot brakes. I took it to a shop where they changed rear pads and rotors on both sides and told me nothing else was wrong. A few days later, my left rear brake started to overheat, smoke and smell. I took it to the dealership where they told me both calipers (left and right rear) were seizing up. They replaced them under warranty which I was very happy about. I did however think it was a little odd that both sides were seizing up. Now, two weeks after having the calipers replaced, the right rear started smoking again. This is the first time in two weeks that it has done this. It does not do it every time I drive. It is at the dealership right now, but they told me that nothing is wrong and everything looks good. I also forgot to mention that about a month ago my ABS, ESP and traction control lights came on for about 10 minutes for no apparent reason but have not come back on since. I wonder if this is somehow related

There is clearly something wrong and I am afraid to drive this car. I do not want to put myself and my kids at risk. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong. PLEASE HELP

Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Do you know if the dealer had check for any codes in the van?Next time you see the brake smoking,have someone jack up that tire and try to spin it. If it doesn't spin, the brake is locked up.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Geezer139
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this happen in the front on my '99 Voyager. Everything LOOKS fine, but the brake hoses were clogged shut by rust at the brackets. Well, not clogged with rust, but the inside of the brackets rusted, thus squeezing the brake hose shut. An '08 is too new for that, but just a thought...

Quick Reply: '08 brakes smoking