Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Dodge Caravan Rear Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
dodgedadodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Caravan Rear Door Problem

Hi there all, i am proud to be a part of this website.
Anyways, i just bought a 1999 Dodge Caravan yesterday.

Was a pig sty, cleaned everything like new, installed new carpet. Now looks awesome. Few problems:
Rear door doesn't lock at all. I could insert the key in, but it won't turn at all.
I opened the door panel and sprayed WD40 on the lock and it still won't move with the key. I gave up, so now i tinkered a bit with the sliding mechanism... it won't have enough power to extend full as it is connected to the door handle and the actual Lock itself which won't turn at all. So i guess after some time when that lock jammed, the locking mechanism became weaker after being resisted for so much. So i can only use the rear door handle to open the door when closed. So no locking at all. Please help, is there a way of getting a new lock for it? How do i access everything from within that small square hole when everything is rivetted in? Thank you.

2nd problem:
No release handle to open the hood. All i can see is a hole, probably the guy ripped the handle out. What do i do? Could i get a DIY handle from a store and install it? I live in Canada.

3rd Problem:
Spare tire, will not release from the white plastic thingy underneath even though the wire rope is released when loosened from the top. Jammed?

Thank you for reading, hope you guys can help me out. Other than that, i think this van is pretty kool. Took the middle seats out and left them in the garage. So i only use the front 2 seats and the last seats at the back leaving the middle open. Feels so roomy and i can put my legs up. **** mobile!

Regards.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The spare tire wench may need to be replaced. The release handle and cable may also need to be replaced too. The rear door,i'm guessing the liftgate? There could be a problem with latch assy or the lock actuator.All of these you can get from either the dealer or wrecking yard.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM
sapporo
Banned

I recommend the OP reads through all the posts, the rear hatch and spare tire have just been covered...

I just put a post on a couple weeks ago about the spare tire issue!!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:22 PM
dodgedadodge

thank you for your advice

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Caravan Rear Door Problem