Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Were's my oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
alhauger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were's my oil going?

Hey folks, new to this forum. My "lady friend" has a 2004 Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8L V6. I do all the maintenance on her van and I have a magic dissapearing oil problem. Since she bought the van, I have had to change the oil a little more than twice as often as recomended. I use fully synthetic and the good filters. I put in 5 quarts and it works fine, but when I change the oil (after 1200 or so miles mind you,) there is only about 1.5 quarts of sludge, including what is in the filter. I see absolutely no evidence of leaking anywhere...No leaks!?! It does'nt seem like its is burning it either. I dont smell any burning oil, there is no smoke, there is no fouling on the plugs...NOTHING! What is going on here? Where is the oil going? As long as i keep an eye on it and change the oil regularly, it runs fine. No knocking or ticking from the engine, Heck, we drove it to Vegas from Fort Worth and back without any problems. Anyone else with this problem? Any ideas? Anything else im overlooking? Help please...
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters, change the PCV valve and from what I've read, an actual Chrysler one is your best bet for whatever reason.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM
alhauger

I've looked around about the PCV "fixing" this problem and it seems full of poop to me. Anyone that has tried this says it only lasts for a few weeks at best. The oil control rings seem like a likely suspect, but with the plugs coming out clean, there is no evidence it is the rings. Can anyone vouch for replacing the PCV having a long-term effect on their oil loss? If not, im not gonna waste my money or the frustration of changing those things.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:31 PM
sapporo
Banned

sludge is a direct result of moisture mixed with the oil. however you're story sure seem far=fetched. 1200 miles on synthetic oil and having only 1.5 qts of sludge? Synthetics don't sludge even after 12000 miles.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 AM
alhauger

The oil thats draining aint healthy regardless of whether or not you wanna call it sludge. And despite you feeling my post is "far-fetched" i'm still losing oil faster than any vehicle owner has a right to. That being said, I'm still looking for some solid advice.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 AM
sapporo
Banned

so at 1,200 miles you're finding that synthetic oil is sludging? I find that impossible, but if that's what you are insisting on, you have a lot more serious problems than consumption. pull off a valve cover and take a picture. that'll show if you are really getting this major sludge issue.

take some of this sludged oil in for analysis. that'll determine if there's a serious underlining problem. 1200 miles and oil looking like sludge is a serious problem. if you are really having the problem and finding it's using 3 quarts in 1200 miles then STOP using the car until you can determine what is causing the problem. you're not consuming oil if it's sludging that fast, you're converting oil to a solid/paste that's stuck in all the cavities of the engine.

if you were using 3 quarts of oil in 1200 miles like you stated, then there would be tons of smoke or a HUGE lake under the van where ever you parked.

I still firmly believe there's no way you'll have synthetic oil consuming 3 quarts in 1200 miles and 1.5 quarts turning to sludge.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
reybacsrebacs@yahoo.com

Mine had a blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe when it sits overnight and i start it in the morning. I was losing oil like yours but not as much. I had the valve seals replaced and it fixed the problem.