Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Caravan shakes violently

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 PM
dodgedadodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Caravan shakes violently

Hi there, i recently bought a 99 dodge caravan at 255,000 kms.
everything was good until yesterday i drove from Edmonton to grande prairie (7 hours drive straight). It was ok until i hit a few hills and then the engine started to shake violently and then the engine service light came on. I got worried but decided to just drive anyways cos i was far away from anywhere, and then i realized the van was still ok to drive so i did drive another 6 hours with no problem.

It did shake from time to time, when i go up on hills but then all i had to do was release the pedal and press again with less pressure and the shakes would stop. The engine service light is always on btw. And i even drove back home for another 7 hours with the same problems and the car didn't break down.

Sorry i am not a car person, so i'm not sure what i should do because i am afraid to pay too much when i go to see a mechanic/dealer. Please advice.
My battery indicator is on display now when i got home last night, i guess i should get a new one? Thank you and please advice.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
sapporo
Banned

torque converter is bad.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Find out what the code is,for causing the ck engine lite to come on.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:46 PM
dodgedadodge

torque convertor is bad?
isit expensive to replace that part and isit worth it? thank you.

im not sure how to check for codes, but the "Service Engine Soon" light came on right away when the van started jerking around, and the light is always on.

My van's a jerk : (

Old 09-19-2010, 04:14 PM
sapporo
Banned

yep, it's expensive they cost me $80 for a new one which is out of most forum uses budget.

maybe you should search around on how to retrieve codes it's amazing what can be found on the internet to answer any question you might have without having to ask. (I think that's call research?)

Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
dodgedadodge

Hi all again, i tried the switch on x5 times or x4 times still not getting any codes, some are saying online that the model i'm driving doesn't produce codes yet. I was so busy with work everyday (carpentry) that i didn't have time to go to a mechanic to have a look at it.

Yesterday i drove home and suddenly there is no more "Service Engine Soon" light anymore, and there wasn't anything funny or weird going with the engine when i drove down the highway... is this normal? So i guess i have no more problems?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 PM
sapporo
Banned

well it's only 3x for key cycle.

looks like your car fixed itself. sometimes chryslers have Microsoft technology (control-alt-delete) fixes it.

Quick Reply: 99 Caravan shakes violently