Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Caravan Xmission Probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM
haileymon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Caravan Xmission Probs

Hello All, Yep. Brand new member. I've been perusing the threads and think I know the answer but I thought I'd seek a little input 1st.
1999 Grand Caravan, 3.3L FWD, 118k. Tranny fluid checked two days ago, red and clean and at proper level.
Today my wife called. Speedo doesn't come off of '0', check engine light on, tranny in limp home mode (I think, essentially stuck in second)
I hooked up my Code Reader and got the following:
P0500 (Speed Sensor Malfunction)
P0700 (Transmission Control System Malfunction)
P0720 (Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0731 (Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect)
Also got P0500 and P0700 Pending which I assume means its continuous

Reading up here seems to point to the Output Speed Sensor and/or a 'relearn'.
I changed oil and filter Sunday, any chance I knocked some connector loose?
I can't seem to figure out from reading just where the sensor is, only that it is very simple and cheap to change. Anyone got pics or dwgs? I am guilty of NOT owning a service manual (prolly first vehicle in my life w/o a manual)
Also, can I 'relearn' the system by disconnecting the battery for a while? If so, for how long? Due for inspection soon. Will the system be sufficiently re-taught to pass?

Sorry to be so long winded. Thanx for any help.
...bob...
Also

Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Replace the output sensor and disconnect the battery for 10 to 30 mins. You don't need to do a quick learn on the transmission.Drive the van for 50 miles and you should be able to have a emmission test done.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
haileymon

Thanx, MT.
I just found a drawing elsewhere AND a pictorial of how to get to both speed sensors.
I'll be at AutoZone first thing in the morning to buy BOTH speed sensors leaving the battery disconnected during the replacement process.
This is an amazing forum. I'm a member of several motorcycle forums and a Volvo group as well. I can dispense knowledge and advise on the m/c threads but with the Dodge and Volvo's I'll be lurking and learning and asking Q's for quite a while.
Thanx again, follow-up as it occurs...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 AM
sapporo
Banned

save your money and replace only the bad part (output speed sensor).

no shift, no speedo 90% chance it's the output speed sensor.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 PM
haileymon

Too late, Sapporo.
I replaced both input sensors. At $17 each from AutoZone (in stock) I see it as saving the labour of doing this again when the input sensor failed in the near future.
The output sensor's magnetic tip was bristling with metal shavings. That's worrisome. It may have been still good and just magnetically clogged up. How-some-ever, the van shifts like silk, no 'check engine' light, and the speedo works again. So it appears that, for now anyway, all is right with the world. At least in my garage. The whole job start to finish took about 35 minutes.
Would it be advisable to do a xmissn flushNfill soon? Can't say as to whether its ever been done. (We acquired the van with 101k on the clock) But the fluid looks nice and red and smells new. Thanks for sharing your vast collection of knowledge. ...bob...

Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM
sapporo
Banned

I'm opposed to trans flushing. just drop pan, new filter new fluid. the metal on the sensor magnet would make me nervous.

Quick Reply: 1999 Caravan Xmission Probs