Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

bearing noiseson '02 GC 3.3 V-6

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 AM
pete c
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearing noiseson '02 GC 3.3 V-6

I have an '02 GC with about 115K on the clock. Bought it a year and a half ago with about 95K.

It has developed a reasonably loud bearing noise over the last few thousand miles. I don't drive it that much so I can't say if it came on gradually or quickly. My wife and daughter do most of the driving. The fact that they noticed it means it's fairly loud as they are typically immune to vehicle noises, so long as it gets them around.

BTW, when I say bearing noise, I mean the "good" kind of engine bearing noise (ball bearing), not the thump, thump, thump "bad" bearing noise from deep in the bowels of the engine that suggests it's time for a new engine.

My first thought was alternator bearings, but when I try to isolate the noise with my stethescope (2 ft long stick), I can't.

Reading up on this excellent forum has me thinking idler noise now. I plan on replacing the belt/idlers. Will inspect alternator and other spinning stuff for signs of dried bearings as well. Is there anything in particular to look for while I'm in there?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take off belt, run engine to verify the noise is belt driven

check water pump, p/s pump, alt, idlers, a/c compressor.

Quick Reply: bearing noiseson '02 GC 3.3 V-6