Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 G.C. SXT - No instrument Panel, No Pwr Windows, Wiper Stuck On

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM
halas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 G.C. SXT - No instrument Panel, No Pwr Windows, Wiper Stuck On

Some follow up from an issue that seems to show itself in many forms in these vans w/ CAN-bus components.

My scenario was the van just decided to have the instrument panel quit on me one morning. The radio would flash every 10 seconds (all night, even w/ car off!), no power accessories would work (windows, power sliders, etc.), windshield wipers would stay on when car was started, no turn signals. Car was runnable and mobile if needed.

These issues were permanent and would not just go away after power on/off, or a long disconnect of the battery. Symptoms were the same regardless of the key position, and key was fully engaged, and seated.

After it took the dealer a day & 1/2 to diagnose, the root cause was the instrument panel itself. They tried the tpim, win, etc. None resolved the issue so they replaced with originals. The van did have a few short circuit diagnostic codes but the dealer did not include them on my service report or have written them down, so I have none to share.

My warranty is up so of course I had to bend over. The dealer charge me retail for the instrument panel @ $230 and but only charge me three hours of labor for the whole ordeal. Considering they spend 12 hours on the van it was better than I expected. Thankfully this is the first time I spend money on a dealer repair in over 12 years so but still it was a $500 ordeal that should have never happened at all.

1 week later and problem as not returned, we'll see what happens. It appears the CAN-bus devices in this general area have all displayed somewhat similar issues. So to the TIPM & WIN modules you can add a instrument panel. I guess in my case it was a permenant issue that was not intermittent.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Reflash maybe !!!

Hey man , I think all your problems are in your main computor ??? try another "dodge dealer" . Get a reflash or maybe a new computor . I would have my battery replaced 1st with high amp capcity battery ! there are lots of electrical problems due to low voltage batteries . my thoughts Duane

Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is something i found.Have your dealer do this or have them call Star center
Vehicle Issue Customer states All Warning indicators come on in Cluster. Headlights and wipers come on. HVAC and radio are INOP. Possible related codes include: C2100, B2305, B210A, B210D, P0562, P0693, U0010, U0011, U0012, U0121, U0141, U0155, U0164, U0172, U0173, U0175, U0176, U0184, U0187, U0196, U0201, U0202, U0203, U0204, U0230, U0249, U1143, U1144, U1158;Normal Diagnostics do not lead to root cause. One or both IHS Bus circuits have @Zero volts.
System or Component DTC / Error Message;Warning / Indicator Lights,Headlamps,Wiper / Washer System,Bus
Recommendation Recommend check for bent Pins in the C318 Connector.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Halas, i run into these BUS issues all the time. Most recent was a damn factory DVD changer of all things shorting the BUS. Replacing modules to diagnose is not the way to go. I hope your next dealer experience is better and I hope I don't get one of those "pre-tested" modules they used to diagnose your van...lol

But note that these things are getting more and more complicated. An independent shop more than likely would have cost you 1000 bucks or more and still you would have ended uop at the dealer. It's a new generation my friend.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-27-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same issue MT but with the C300 connector, female terminals spread causing the drivers door module to freak out taking down the bus.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM
halas

Thanks for the info, gents!

Well a new problem has developed since the service. Everythings works again but now the battery dies in two days if not driven. Since the original battery was still in the van, winter is coming, and I just had a battery in my Formula die I decided to get a fresh & new high cap. battery. Only to have the same issue. There is a current draw somewhere when the van is off. I looked for any lights left on in the interior but everything is off.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
halas

Some follow up to this - the battery drain was in fact the new instrument panel that was put in by the dealer.

Dealer replaced the instrument panel again (free of charge of course) and the battery drain issue went away.

Quick Reply: 2008 G.C. SXT - No instrument Panel, No Pwr Windows, Wiper Stuck On