Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 GC Liftgate Power Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:12 PM
RedWing68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GC Liftgate Power Lock Issue

I have scoured this forum without success for a solution. I have a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT. My liftgate will not unlock using either the key fob for the power locks or the key itself. I am not concerned about the key lock not working as I know it is corroded and gummed up. However, I need to access the gate using the power lock on a daily basis. I do not have the power liftgate motor to raise and lower it, just power locks. I have replaced the power lock actuator and the latch assembly with no luck as well as pulling the IOD fuse from up front. All other power locks work on the vehicle from the inside switches and the key fob. The tail lights flash when I double-click the key fob remote for the liftgate. I hear nothing from the actuator or latch no matter which way I try to unlock it. Any thoughts?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You need to some how open the liftgate from the inside and inspect the latch assy.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no lock actuator since there is no manual connection to the latch except for the key cylinder. The button you push above the licence plate is a switch feed to the BCM that lets it know you want the hatch open. When it see's the button pushed, it supplies power to the latch to release it. I have seen alot of those buttons corroded and not suppliing the correct signal to the BCM. Wouldn't suprise me abit if that was your faulty component.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
RedWing68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Tizzy1,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had seen the switch mentioned in another post after I posted my issue. I purchased one at my local dealer today ($44.34 + tax) and it took care of the problem. One thing I would mention, take care when working with the connectors. I used a set of small precision screwdrivers to dis-assemble it and remove the wiring as opposed to splicing. The last thing I wanted to do was introduce another possible wiring/electrical issue into this vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2005 GC Liftgate Power Lock Issue