Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan 2.4 only has spark on #1 & #4 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM
CRT Engines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan 2.4 only has spark on #1 & #4 cylinders

I have a 96 Caravan 2.4L that originally died while going driving down the road. The first thing I did was scan the vehicle for codes. No codes found. So I took the timing belt cover off and the belt was loose. Bought a new tensioner, got all of that timed correctly and put back together. Did a compression test because my book said the 2.4 is an interference motor and #2 was 90, and the others were all at 120.

I went to start the vehicle and found out that only #1 and #4 plug wires were sparking. First I went to the junkyard and got a coil pack. No luck, but I was able to return the part. I pulled the crank sensor out and it had a crack that ran the length of the sensor. Replaced the sensor and harness and had the same problem. Next I looked at the Cam Sensor. It was the factory original sensor with old style harness. I could see were the used car lot had tried to fix an oil leak by using orange silicone all over the underside of the sensor. I replaced that sensor and harness and still the same problem.

All I think that is left is the Computer? I'm wanting to think Computer due to the fact it does have spark on 2 cylinders and no codes, but don't want to throw any more at this thing without being sure..lol

Last edited by CRT Engines; 10-21-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OK, since you have 2 cylinders firing then your ASD feed is ok, so that leaves the Coil primary circuits .........One-1/4......... Two-2/3. You need the pin-out test for that. PCM grounds the primary circuit. The PCM is bad or you have a wiring issue. If you know how to use a meter... Leave me your e-mail and I can get it to you.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-21-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan 2.4 only has spark on #1 & #4 cylinders