Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

caravan squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
nextlevel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy caravan squeak

I am new to the forum and when I did a search I could not find what I was looking for.

My 1999 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3 is making a loud squeaking noise that is relational to the rpm of the engine. It seems to be the loudest under the car and near the crank pulley.

I have changed the belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and water pump. The noise only gets louder. My book says this engine has a timing chain and it is original with 180,000 miles. Could it possibly be the chain has gotten loose and is rubbing inside the cover?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Pete M
Rookie

try pulling the belt off and starting the engine. don't run it very long, but if you hear the squeak, you'll know for sure it's not a pulley or the belt.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 AM
nextlevel

I pulled the belt off and started the engine and the noise was not there. Is it possible for the powere steering pump to squeak?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Pete M
Rookie

any pulley bearing can squeak. be prepared though, replacing the PS pump is a real pain in the butt. I pulled it out forwards (above the axleshaft, which might need to be removed to get enough access) rather than even attempting to remove the rusty exhaust, and ended up replaced the pulley too after failing miserably to remove it from the pump in one piece (new pump = $50, new pulley = $15).

Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 AM
nextlevel

I read about how to get to that pump and and sent up many wails of protest. The timing chain is original and the alternator is original so I thought maybe I would change it all out at one time and that would hopefully make the pump easier to get to from above.

What do you think about that?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Pete M
Rookie

never contemplated what I could do with the timing cover off, but I can assure you that the power steering pump won't come out the top with just the alt removed. that huge pulley has to go with it. does the pulley make noise or a vibration if you spin it by hand (sans belt)?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 AM
nextlevel

It does not make a noise if turned by hand. There is a little movement in the shaft and it seems to be leaking some fluid out of the front of the shaft. If the engine is running and I spray some WD40 behind the pulley the noise stops for about 10 seconds. It is definitely getting worse.

It looks to me like it would come out with the engine mounting bracket and alternator and timing chain cover out of the way.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Pete M
Rookie

The new pulley is a press fit, but the pump has a threaded shaft and you simply need the right size bolt, a thick washer or two or three, and some lube to push the pulley on.

Quick Reply: caravan squeak